Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daniels
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Can anyone tell me if the ice is gone on Daniels. A friend called today and wanted to head up there this weekend.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I can't not say from actually being there yet this year but I am leaning against it. That damn Malad Valley is an ice box.
The only reason Fosters is open is because they let Glendale spill into it. I will post though if I hear anything- I will- really.
[signature]
I'll put in my 2 cent even though I haven't been to Daniels lately. I don't think the entire reservoir will be ice free this weekend but I could be wrong. I would be surprised if there wasn't enough open water on the upper end of the reservoir to get out in a float tube or pontoon. Good luck if you get out.
[signature]
I was at Daniels today. It is about 75% ice free now and melting very fast. It may all be gone tomorrow or Monday. Fishing was pretty slow for me, only two small rainbows (12-13").
[signature]
Thanks for the update. It will be a few weeks before I get the chance to go, what with Easter next weekend and the Expo the week after. Not taking our boats for the expo, too much temptation.
[signature]
fly fishing nut,

Thanks for the update. Is daniels full now, or is it still a few feet below the high water mark?
[signature]
Daniels looked like it was completely full to me. I fished it last August and it has at least 25% more water than it di then. I would love to figure out how to catch fish better over there. Anybody have an tips or favorite flies they would like to share with me?
[signature]
Must have been you I saw out there. I made a tour of the lakes and decided not to put in on any of them. I almost put in on Pleasentview but everything else I saw didn't look extremely fishable. How was the water clarity where you were at?
[signature]
The water is very dirty at Daniels right now. There were a few fish surfacing evey once in a while. I was in a green Ford truck.
[signature]
Good to hear Daniels is already full for the year.
The reservoirs in Eastern Idaho are in much better shape to carry over fish than they have been for several years. [Smile] I hope conditions continue to be favorable and we don't have a hot dry summer.
[signature]
It ain't findin' the right fly....there just ain't no fish in that Daniels[Wink]
[signature]
I would almost believe that if I hadn't seen other people catch them. I just need to figure out how to do the same.
[signature]
That darn GD damsel will get them everytime (0:
[signature]
[reply]
That darn GD damsel will get them everytime (0:[/reply]

What is a GD damsel? Do you have a picture of one or link showing how to tie one? I have used some damsels in the past but I thought they usually only worked in the middle/late summer timeframe.
[signature]
It's a long story. Here is a link to some of the info. I can tell you from personal experience- it's a real deal. I was kinda making a joke when I posted above because there has been some bad mouthing of Jeff. I can't do that, he has given me nothing but intelligent information and I have used that to my benifit. There are a couple of fly shops in SLC that have the dubbing made up- I made a batch of my own 2 years ago. I know that Smith and Edwards outside of Willard sells something very very close- OK it's probably it and my mixture is off a bit. It's called a desiner golden damsel I think.
It's the simplicity of it and the dubbing. I have used it as a trailer and fished deep and done well but to me it's a slow sink line or floating line and casting into the shallows (weed lines) were damsel nymphs would be. Just a couple feet under the surface.
really need to use the dubbing loop when tying it.
[url "http://www.utahonthefly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5903"]http://www.utahonthefly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5903[/url]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][Image: purple.gif][purple]I got some of the dubbing from Sportsmen's warehouse. Put out by "Troutsmen Enterprises" called Designer Dub Utah Spectramized Gold. Nothing quite like it. I have tried to make it myself, but there is about 35 or more mixtures in it. I don't know why but it kicks [/purple]
[Image: purple.gif]a$$ up there. Try a size 12 or even larger streamer hook and I use Olive Zonker hair for tail, but Marabou will work, just bunny doesn't get totaled. Dubbing loop is a must, but think, less is more. Keep the body sleek. But, think also about Rickards A.P. Emerger in olive also. [/font]
But, again it could be a waiste of time....there are no fish in Daniels[Wink]
[signature]
Thanks to both of you. This fly looks like something I should try. I have fished Rickard's seal buggers before and had very good success with them. This looks very similar to those, just a different color. I usually use the burgandy color seal bugger. Last August I did pretty good at Daniels with an olive/orange colored damsel fly so I am sure that this will work equally as well. Now I just need to get some of the dubbing material. Is it ribbed with copper wire or something? You don't by chance have a picture of one you have tied up with the olive tail do you? Thanks! Lance
[signature]
Denny's burnt orange and black, olive, blood leeches are a good thing for sure. Here is the Spectramized Damsel and the A.P. Emerger:

[Image: apemerger.jpg]

[Image: spectdamsel1.jpg]
[signature]
Great pictures, thanks! I've got to go tie me some up.
[signature]