Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carp Flies
[font "Arial"][#ff4040][size 3]Anybody have any good carp patterns they would like to share? I was thinkin about trying for some carp out at Utah Lake. If that doesn't work, I'll have my bow with me also.[Wink][/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Leeches patterns, Wulf patterns, stimulators, and standard nymph pattens. On the dries and nymphs I usually fish about a size 14. If the water is pretty muddy try something chartruese to help with the visibility. I've been kicking the thought around of heading out to Utah Lake for the carp for a while. Let me know how you do.
[signature]
Try a wonder bread fly.

This will probably not sound too ethical but hey, they are carp.

First chum them with bread chunks. Carp love it. Then tie on a fly you have created the night before which is this;

spun deer hair cut into a square to look like bread.

And then just enjoy. Great fish to catch.
[signature]
[font "Arial"][#ff4040][size 3]I have been out to Lincoln Beach a couple of times and have seen the carp up on the surface in rafts. I don't know if they are feeding or what, but maybe next time I will take me fly rod. Thanks for the suggestions.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[font "Arial"][#ff4040][size 3][/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[font "Arial"][#ff4040][size 3]Curtis L- I have done the bread thing before, and it is definitely fun! I usually use my spinning rod, but maybe next time I will try with the fly rod.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
That is wild that the carp were in rafts.......................J/K [Wink]

yeah, try it on a fly rod. They are about the hardest fighting fish you can go after around here. Take you right into the backing.
[signature]
Could you explain what "spun deer hair" is. I would like to tie some "wonder bread" and try it at Lake Powell.
thanks
Dr Love
[signature]
Spinning deer hair is were you take a clump of hair about the size of a pencil,loose first wrap,tighten down on the second wrap. as you do the hair will spin around the hook sticking out in every direction. compress the hair and do another spin. keep doing that as needed, then trim to shape.
[signature]