Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Update
I've been monitoring BFT most of the winter, looking for ice fishing info on the Berry. Never felt like I had much to offer beyond the basic stuff. Have always enjoyed the reports that included something of an adventure.

Sunday morning we hiked in from the upper parking lot on the Soldier Creek side at about 6:15. The road leading to the first boat ramp was frozen, but showed tracks from the day before where someone was sinking in to their knees! The lake was smooth and had 6-8 inches of frozen slush and enough ice that the auger went to the handles before breaking through.

Fished the East shore heading towards the dam. Started out in in 45' of water, hit a nice slot cut as soon as I had my line in the water. Marking a few fish but not much action. Moved in to 35' of water. Same story. Moved to 25' of water and started marking a lot of fish. The hits were usually pretty light, but every once in a while we would get a hard hit. Iced a couple of cuts and three rainbows, kept one at 18", (bow) these were the first rainbows we caught this winter!

I was using a kastmaster with power bait on top with a ratfinky and wax worm a foot below it. Everything hit the wax worm, but I like using the kastmaster as an attracter.

Dropped my line to the bottom and brought it up two cranks, sat down my rod, reached for the coffee and noticed that my line went curly. Five minutes later I saw a monster cut go past the hole. When it saw daylight it started stripping line like crazy. Eventually I got him to the hole and saw that it was swimming upside down so I figured it must be worn out and started working it's head up the hole. Not wanting to snap my line or lip rip it I reached down to grab it by the gills. At that point the fish was anything but exhausted and started thrashing all over trying to dive back down the hole which I pobably should have just let it dive. But no, I had to get excited, dropped my rod and went after it with both hands!

When the hook on the RatFinky straighted out, the fish was off and I couldn't get a grip on him. He was gone. It was then that I realized the treble hook from the kastmaster was deeply imbeded in my finger! My hands were so cold from being in the water I never felt it sink in.

I cut off two of the barbs and the eyelet and tried doing surgery on myself. It didn't want to back out and I tried to push it through but it was too deep. Plenty of blood but very little pain.

We headed out at 9:00 to find a clinic. The ice surface and the road was still frozen when we left. The sun had just gotten to us when we left the lake. I suspect that the slush would have started forming by 10:00 or 10:30.

All of you hard core Berry fans can still fish if you're willing to get out there early and leave early. We're going again next weekend.

This is the second time I've had a very large fish that I could not get out of the hole. Any suggestions on technique? Thanks.
[signature]
welcome aboard, To bad your trip was cut short. I haven't done the hook in the finger thing in a while (knock on wood). in answer to your question on getting a big fish through the ice. a couple years ago I caught an 8lb rainbow just as he was coming out of the water the hook straightened out back in it went my son really wanting that fish went in to his shoulders and then throwing it out of the hole. Before my next trip I picked up a pair of lip grips all you need is it head up and you can lift it out.
[signature]
[crazy]I know how that feels I have had the privleage of being hooked twice, once in the thumb with a treble hook and once in the lip with a fly. Yes you heard that right, In the lips.[blush]
[signature]
Thanks for the tip. I'll be looking for pair my next trip to Sportsmans.

Also, I forgot to include in my report the fact that there are many beer cans appearing as the snow is melting in the parking lot. A few weeks back there was a report from Blue Lake, blaming scuba divers for trashing the place. No scuba divers at Strawberry this time of year. Lets all do our part to keep it clean! [Wink]
[signature]
Regardless of who left the trash we should all take out any trash we come across. Sorry to hear about the hook-in-the-hand incident, we've all done it at one time or another. Welcome aboard!!!!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard. Good report with a couple of good object lessons.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. If you are using a Kastmaster as weight or just as an attractor, remove the hooks. Saves on potential for angler injury and also saves fish that would otherwise be lost when the trebles hook on the bottom of the ice hole. I make gold and silver glittered sinkers to do the same thing (see pic)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. Always have a lip gripper sitting where you can do a one handed grab while fighting a big fish. If you are patient, and get the fish worn out enough to get it up into the hole, you can usually grap the lower jaw with the gripper without having to pull too hard on the line. Here's a copied pic from the Cabelas site, with several models of the Berkeley grippers, favorites with a lot of members both for boating and ice fishing.[/#0000ff]
[Image: i014820sq05.jpg]

[#0000ff]Sorry about the wound, and losing the fish too. Talk about double jeopardy. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yea them grippers are the only way to go when landing big fish! But hey TubeDude them colored sinkers are a great idea anyway you'll sell me a few?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]C'mon over sometime and I'll get you a couple to get started plus some plain ones you can paint up yourself. I'll show you how. I don't sell my stuff but I'm always happy to help others learn how to do it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I still have several pounds of them that I got at Smith & Eddies 25 years ago, for 25 cents a pack of five or six. I used to hammer the larger ones flat, for perch urchins. Now, I pour lead casting spoons, in sizes from 1/4 oz. to 2 oz. They also work well as attractor/depth chargers...and they catch fish too. (See pics)[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Nice report, Cheese_Head, and welcome to the site. If you don't have any lip grippers or forgot yours at home you can always do what fishpro40's son did and reach down and get him. Actually, when my buddies and I go to 'da berry, it's kind of an unwritten rule that if you get a big one one your buddy comes over to pull him outta the whole while you hang on to your rod and keep the tension on him. Vise Versa too. When your buddy gets one on, you help him pull it outta the whole. The REALLY tricky part always seems to be just wearing him out enough to get his head to the bottom of the hole.

So, how big would you estimate that monster cut to be, anyway? Also, welcome to the site!!
[signature]
Hard to say how big for sure, but there was a lot of fish swimming by the hole. I've caught plenty at the top of the slot limit and this fish was way beyond that!
[signature]
great report. thinking about hitting the berry one more time.
wasn't it a year or so ago that the same problem came about
with the ice and snow being so thick. didn't someone drill a hole on an angle like trough to slide the big boys out. my memory isn't what it once was, so maybe i'm just dreaming.
[signature]