Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hudson River
[cool]Stripers and herring are starting to show up all the way up to the Troy Dam. Some small schoolies have been caught at the dam. Bank fishermen are catching herring on Sabiki rigs as well. Water temp is almmost 45 degs now and after this week it should be in the high 40's. It's time to get to your favorite launch and get out. Chief
[signature]
Stripers are starting to be caught up to the Troy Dam, these are smaller males up to 12 lbs. Herring are also in the river but are not hitting rigs yet they can be netted in the creeks. Water temp is up to 53 degs on the surface so figure about 5 degs. less closer to the bottom. The big girls will be up soon. Chief
[signature]
time to spit polish the dancing shoes and rosin up the the pole. [cool]
[signature]
Hi Guest nice to have you here. I like most others who fish the upper Hudson use herring or cut herring some time if you can catch a shad using stripes of the fish works well sometimes. Live herring is the best or eels. In the lower hudson blood worms are used alot and they also use surface plugs down there. Some guys try trolling lures for them but they burn more gas that they get fish. Charters will use live herring and drift, I use that method as well and have had good success with it. I like to fish the out going tides. I use circle hooks which holds the bait well/ I've got to run my smoked salmon is just about done. Chief
[signature]
smoked salmon now thats a meal to run for .
[signature]
Oh Yeh it was great I finished it off for lunch the next day, My Lady wanted to marinate it and I said no way the only thing this fish gets is a good smoking. I picked up another one to do it again. Man it is good with a little horseradish sauce.
Got out on the Hudson on Friday afternoon with the recent cold weather we are having the water temp dropped back into the fourties. The bite in the hudson is so depentent on the water temp. So no fish for me on that trip but the weather is looking better so the temp will be coming back up. I'm just about out of cut bait so I've got to get into a herring bite.
[signature]
[cool][cool][cool]Stipers are now hitting solid in the upper Hudson to the Troy Dam. When you find herring stripers are with them. Biggest one I heard of so far is in the 40lb. class.. Chief
[signature]
[cool]I saw my first striper caught yesterday but it was a friend of mine fishing next to me a nice 20lber. His wife was in another boat next to him and she had one as well. The river was crouded with fishermen and women. Herring is still hard to find unless you get into the Albany area. but down by Castleton you have to search for them. I'll give it a try again Friday. Chief
[signature]
It's been a tough year for me for stipers I've put in the time on the river but not productive. I'm going to give it one more weekend, I'm in a small striper tournament, best two fish for two days. We are going to net herring in the small streams and probably use just cut bait for the weekend. I've been marking tons of fish on the fishfinder but no action. Jsut got to be in the right place at the right time. Chief
[signature]