Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To preserve or not to preserve thread color
I built a rod and added a decorateve but wrap using both NCP thread and silver. The shop helping me with the finish doesn't use color preserver on their rods, but they also don't do decorative stuff either. I want to use color preserver so that the silver doesn't show through the top thread on the wrap. The guys at the shop said that color preserver is very difficult to use because it leaves blotchiness. Is there a way to avoid blotchiness with color preserver? What tricks should I know? Thanks advanced,
[signature]
[cool]I use clear nail polish on decorative wraps to pack the thread & hold it in place. Also on underwarps to keep the overwraps from digging into the underwraps. Multiple thin coats will prevent blotchiness. I use acetone for thinner.

I have never liked the milky white CP at all. It affects the color, especially black, and is slow drying. It also can relax the thread in decorative wraps.

Some people like Gudebrod CP811 thinned with denatured (NOT rubbing) alcohol. I haven't used it much but am told that it can also relax the threads.

Fishslayer
[signature]
[cool]There are threads on the market that advertise they do not need CP. I have never tried them, so I cannot vouch for them.

I sympathize with your concern for botching a custom wrap job, after all your exacting work, by not doing a good job with the color preserver. I always use thin coats an allow to dry several hours between coats. My greatest problems have occured when I tried to rush the process and did not let each coat dry properly. I always add one more coat...after the previous coat did not exhibit any signs of discoloring.

I have used the Gudebrod products for years, with good results.
[signature]
Thanks Tube Dude, that is excellent advice, in Dale P. Clemens book "Advanced Custom Rod Building" he gives that same advice. He recomends waiting 24 hours between coats and making sure that the humidity levels are low. The rod turned out great following that advice. I will try to take a picture that shows the detail and post a picture.
[signature]
[cool] Be careful about posting naked fishing rod pictures on this forum. It is a family oriented site you know.

I have a couple of books by Clemens, dating back about "plenty nine" years. That was back in the days when we used dinosaur sinews for wrapping thread. In fact, the title on one is "Making fibreglass rods". Yeah, I'm that old.

Hey, how about you coming on over to the Float tubing site and making an announcement on your new responsibilities. I know there are several in the fold that have heen known to wrap a stick or two...and many others that might be interested in picking up some tips for building or repairs.
[signature]
[cool]The NCP (No Color Preserver) don't need it, but I'll put some on if I'm wrapping a lighter color over darker.

You can get some interesting results by using regular thread without CP & letting the colors deliberately bleed through, especially with metallics.

Fishslayer
[signature]