Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lindon report 4/14
Well the truck at work is still in the shop when I got there this morning. I call up davies and they say come on down she all ready to go. So we had south to Springville. On the way I get a call saying oops we messed up it wont be done today. Back to the office I go callit a day and head over to Lindon.

Now I have every intention of getting this "sydrome" I packing off my back. Ran into icing perch in the parking lot. We chatted for a few and then I launch. Was windy when I got there so I stayed in the harbor. Marked fish everywhere! Big ones little one, schools of them also. They must have ate rusty nails and got lock jaw cause none of them would even nibble at anything I threw at them.
Well the wind quit blowing and the lake turned to glass. Out the slot i kick and head over by the transfer station to try my luck. Only marking an occasional fish, still no takers. Tap tap i get, I think "set the hook stupid" so I do. But miss nothing for the longest time and then I sang a carp. Most fun of the day. 7 #s snaged in the tail and we both went for a ride. Looked around after landing her and noticed I was right in the middle of a bunch of playing carp. Hooked 2 more ligit and one more in the back. No the "syndrome" is still there but I had a blast and a whole bunch of kitty food now.
Oh yeah and the wind she came back around 2:30 pm. I was rowing my toon for all I was worth and making no headway. As a matter of fact I was gaining of the float I was dragging behind me. Then it started to rain!, no make that pour! But the wind died down then and I was off the lake and in the shelter of the harbor licky split. The rain stopped and the wind came back even worse. I don't think I'll let myself get caught inopen water again when I know theres a storn brewing.
[signature]
I saw you on your toon but didnt realize that was you! I was driving around as I had just finished my classes this morning. I wanted to get out on the lake, but after interviewing guys shorefishing and that black boat with the optimax Mercury engine that had just gotten out of water around 12:25 this afternoon, all were skunked, so I decided not to fish today because somehow those fish know the storm is coming because of the drop in barometric pressure. At least you saw fish on your sonar, which is a good thing!

The storms on the weekends is getting real old! Why can't we have a storm during the week just like any other states gets?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, ol' buddy, at least you were prepared take advantage of your bad luck...you could go fishing even if you couldn't work. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That wind on Utah Lake is getting OLD. It seems to be diabolical. Doesn't matter which part of the lake you fish, the wind comes up from exactly the WRONG direction. It never fails, you are always kicking against the wind. You have to fight your way out against the wind, and then come back against it after it changes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That happens to TubeBabe and I just about every time we fish out of Lindon. If we go south, toward the bubbleup, the wind blows from the north against us as we try to get back to the harbor. If we go north to the transfer station, the south wind blows a gale just as we are planning to return.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Same thing at Lincoln Beach. Just about got us good on Thursday.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I can't count how many times I have planned a trip to some part of Utah Lake, based upon the forecast for little or no wind, with light breezes from a certain direction. Then, when I get there I find "Imperfect Storm" conditions...with strong winds blowing in from exactly the opposite direction from the the forecasts.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Did the carp look "romantic"? Is it time to tune up the bow? I'm betting that the last week of April will see the carp splashing in the shallows. I'll be on the welcoming committee.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
The fish in the harbor did have lock jaw I fished it for about an hour with out anything. But did manage to get three mud cats off the lake side.
[signature]
Clebreto, what time were you there? Maybe you were one of the shore fishermen on the lakeside south west corner of Lindon dike? If so, I was in that green toyota 4-Runner inquiring people of thier success. I must have spoke to you briefly.
[signature]
I left around 12:00 right as road showed up.
[signature]
I hear ya paul, now that summer is approaching I will only have weekends. We need some nice weeksnds and crapy weekday weather. Ya that will do it. Sorry for all you guys and gals who can go any time (I be jealous big time). But I'm heading up to the reservation and ask stinking skunk for a weekday rain dance!
[signature]
They were so romantic! I didn't think they fed in that condition so I was surprised when a couple of the hit the jig and worm. I think I will return to the "hey boss you mind if I keep some bait in the compnay frig". The girls got kind of grossed out when the worm container got broke last year. little well not so little nightcrawlers all over the shelves. But I would love to "fill" the freezer if ya know what I mean. Hard to fish UL without the right stuff. Right now I need all the help I can get!
[signature]
[cool]Hey Mr. Carpslayer, let me know when you are about to go wack some stinkerfish, as my dad in law and I wanna join in this year. I gotta go get me a non-compound bow though, as my brand new 60-pound Whisper Creek is too nice and too much power to use there. Gotta get to the pawn shop and get a beat up old school bow... I'll have to take half a day off and get down there on a sunny afternoon soon...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I was told yesterday, by a non BFTer, that there were a lot of carp thrashin' and splashin' all over the place at the Bear River Bird Refuge. He is a non angler and was wondering why those crazy fish were acting like that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is getting close to GAME TIME.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am going to Lincoln Beach next Thursday and I plan to take some carp twangin' gear for after the tubing. I am betting that there will be blood in the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If the carp are really coming in, and the weather cooperates, let's have a carpathon Saturday the 29th. I'm sure there will be lots of sightings between now and then to confirm the potential for success.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Last year they really started thrashing about a week into May. Think cinco de Mayo--ish. I was following a favorite trib toward the lake catching White Bass and I thought it was waves splashing the shore. Turned out to be tens of thousands of lusting carp. Yuck. [Tongue]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, it really is disgustin', ain't it. Kinda like a bunch of folks whacked out on drugs at a rave.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The good news for us carp killers is that it is just getting started. There will be some days better than others, but the fish will be doing their thing for several weeks, off and on. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Last year was a lot like this year is shaping up...storms and temperature drops after the spawn got started. It really spread things out last year. I was still seeing carp orgies in mid summer, and both snagged and arrowed carp clear into July that still had bellies full of eggs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When the carp swarmed into Lindon last year, I was coming in to shore in my tube one time and carp almost towed it off. I had left the landing net dangling over the side, as I was getting out to take off my fins. Suddenly, the tube lurched and started moving. A couple of horny carp had blundered into the net and were moving on down the shoreline. I looked funny splashing after them with one fin on and one fin off. One got away but the other one became bait.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For those who care, the big carp spawn in Willard is usually a little later, because the water warms more slowly in the deeper lake. But, when carp get frisky, they form huge schools both in the shallows along the northeast side and in many places around the dikes. I have seen them massed ten feet deep and many feet out from the rocks while trying to fish for walleyes. Of course, the other fish all boogie when the carp go crazy. So, it's time to "force feed" a few of them with a big ol' sharp jig hook.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[#505000]Count me in on the 29th.....[/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]Also O4T I use a compound when perforating carp, I just don't use a full draw.[/#505000]
[signature]
I've had my bowfishing rig ready for a month with nothing to shoot. I am rarin' to go. Where's the best place to shoot from the shore?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good question. The water is so high this year that most of the traditional spots are flooded and the water is clear back up in the reeds and bushes. That is good for the carp but tough on the shooters. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The carp will be all around the lake, wherever they decide to mass at any given time. Easiest shooting will be wherever you can find the carp in shallow water, near to a good parking spot. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Over the past 30 days, I have been driving and prospecting, both for fish and for potential carp croaking. Here are some observations. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lindon will be good, both inside and outside the harbor. The flooded reeds both north and south of the harbor will host lots of carp orgies. Did last year...will this year. You will need boot foot waders and fish arrows to do the most damage without losing arrows. The water will probably be a couple of feet deep in some of those spots.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can access the lake and the reeds near the bubbleup, with no fee, to the south of Lindon. Again, the water is well up into the reeds so look for shallows back behind the reeds or work along the outside edges.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The west side of the Lake, from Pelican Point to The Knolls is accessible in many spots. Again, lots of reeds and stands of low tamarisk, but also some flooded flats that will see lots of carp. The knolls has the best access road for "average" vehicles. And, the water comes right up to the lower road, so you can either wade or just wait for the carp to come splashing by and take your best shot.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All of the accessible shoreline around Goshen Bay should be thick with carp. Wherever you can find a road going down to a flooded field you will find plenty of shooting.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lincoln Beach. There will be bajillions of carp all along the north-facing shoreline and back in the L and the old ramp launch. Last year it was like hogs wallowing all along that entire shoreline early in the morning. I was able to scoop carp up with my landing net when they got thick. That is the area I will be targeting and would probably be the best place for a carpathon.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The long stretch of shoreline to the south and east of the boat launch at Lincoln will also be full of carp. There are some fences and mucky channels to navigate to get into some of the prime areas, but if you can make it there is great shooting back in there. Bagged more than a few my own self. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am guessing that the reedy area off the dikes, down by the Provo Airport will be well attended this year too, as will the newly flooded areas to the north of Provo Harbor. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All of the areas mentioned are fairly easily accessible. There are many other spots known only to those on the inside, that have flooded fields or trickle ditches that fill up with carp. I know a few my own self, but will keep them for private slaughter, since the landowners can be touchy about folks leaving lots of dead fish laying on their property.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'll be doing a checkout on Lincoln Beach by Thursday and we can decide if it's GAME ON for Saturday. Heck, no reason why we can't do it several weekends. It ain't like carp are an endangered species.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]That sounds like a blast on the 29th. If my son isn't born yet (he's due the 7th of May) then I think I can sneak away for a couple of hours at least.

Good luck on Thursday. Hope the fishies and the W are a bit more cooperative this time!
[signature]
[cool]That's a good idea, CP. Maybe I'll bring along the nice bow and just not do a full draw. This is gonna be a hoot! I hope my little son holds out a couple days longer and isn't born yet so I can make it down there.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Whassmatta you guys? Don'tcha know that a compound bow is designed for full draw...and lets off when you reach it? The only reason to use the standard bow is so that you can do a partial draw and hold it without killing yourself. Also, you seldom need a full draw to impale a carp. Only when you are trying to string several on the same arrow. I got five on one arrow, once upon a time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Before we go carp shootin' maybe we should have a hunter safety course and some basic review of archery techniques. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]O.k., maybe I will go get me one of those old non-compound bows then... I know about rifle/shotgun hunters safety, so I'll just apply the same principles to archery (which I am a bit new at).
[signature]
Was that you coming in the harbor when the wind started howling? The only person I talked to that mentioned BFT was [#000000][size 1]clebreto. I was in the green minivan Friday. I caught one white bass off the south dike then moved over and fished off the north dike and was able to pick up 10 mudcats that day. My brother came in Friday and we headed back down there Saturday. Fished inside the harbor for about 45 minutes and got one mudder then made the walk in the mud out on the north dike. Between his wife and 2 girls and me we ended up with 28 mudders for the day in about 4 hours of fishing. Definitely seems to be picking up from what everyone has been saying in the past. I am going to try to post some pictures but might be too big. [/size][/#000000]
[signature]