Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good fish finder?
OK, the boss has allowed me to spend up to 200 hundred dollars of our tax return for a new fish finder for the boat. Now, I have never bought one before, but I know the one I have is older than dirt. Can anyone recommend a good one for the amount I am "alotted" that has water temp and speed on it?

Thx
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Garmin 240 in Cabela's for $229. Great Unit. Don't know if they have speed and temp standard. Check out the Eagle. They are about that price range. Might even check E-bay for a killer deal. Just know what you're buying if you go with that option.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[Smile], You can get a gizmo for speed if you don't have it already. I have a bow mounted Garmin 240 and a dash 160. The Garmin 160 might a little more affordable. It has just little less pixels than 240, so I'm told.[cool]

tomegun
[signature]
[Smile]garmin 240 is a good fish finder. I have the regular 240 on the bow and the 240 blue on the console. I would recommend either unit. The only difference between the two is the 240 blue can shoot dual cones.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Teroy,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I have the Garmin 160 and really like it. Best bang for the buck. I would like it even better if it was the 240 for increased pixcels. Someday I WILL have the 240. They both come with temp. But I think you have to purchase the speed sensor seperately. Personaly, I trust GPS speed a whole lot more than speed sensors on finders anyway.
[/size][/font]
[signature]
I have a Raytheon L365,Has Temp,Speed,Standard.Side looking is optional but is affordable,It has dual frequency.dual cone angle.

Look at [url "http://www.RayMarine.Com"]WWW.RayMarine.Com[/url]

Picked it up for $200.00 and am very happy with the performance,and power.

Later,Tony[Wink]
[signature]
Thx FF, I was actually trying to decide between that one and the Garmin 240.

Is it easy to operate, not too confusing for the simple minded?[Smile] Did you mail order yours or buy it locally?? I wish I could find it a close ip picture of the display, so I can see how detailed it is.
[signature]
I bought it at marine products in Salt Lake City,I know that alot of the boat dealer carry them.And they are very user friendly,with 1 button control,2X,4X,6X,8X Zoom,6 differnt size of fish,but usally have that option turned off,all in all good features,but smaller screen,I needed the smaller screen so I could fit it behind the windshield,so I could watch it when I'm on the move,the cradle does rotate 180 degrees,and move up and down,I,like others can see it thru the windshield when I'm in the bow.It has a option called A-scope that is true time and shows the diameter of the cone on the bottom.I have watched a jig under the boat when I was perch fishing,though is intermittently picked up,see it then it wont,thats the only down fall I have seen so far.

Good luck,It took a while before I picked it over others in that price range,Do your home work,I didnt like the lowrance models to many buttons,and didnt get to see the garmin.so I cant tell you anything about that unit,Looks like alot of people here have them,just wanted to give you more options for your money.

Later,Tony[Wink]
[signature]
[size 2]Probably the best bang for the buck right now is the new Eagle fishmark 320, 320X320 for $199.[/size]
all I can say on this subject is dont buy a bottom line fishn' buddy. Yo can get them with temp and speed but they do not show a good picture.
[signature]
I've had a Raytheon 365 for 3 years, It has speed, temp, & distance, you can disable any of them if you want. I can pick up a swedish pimple and ratfinkee with a wax worm down to about 50' most of the time, however sometimes it won't pick them up. I think it has something to do with the clarity of the water. I take it off the boat in winter for ice fishing. The puck will not hang straight without some jury rigging. Last week it died on me, it still works however I have to reset to default every time I turn it on. Does anyone out there know where to get it fixed locally?

fdg
[signature]
I agree with Dennis get the Eagle FishMark 320. 320 pixels, 1500 watts of power and it also has batterie back up so you don't have to reprogram it every time you turn it on.
[signature]
I was interested in this fishfinder, except I was concerned that it won't do a split screen. In your opinion how helpful is a split screen?
[signature]
[reply]
I was interested in this fishfinder, except I was concerned that it won't do a split screen. In your opinion how helpful is a split screen? [/reply]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]

I believe that a split screen is quite important for deep vertical jigging ... like lake trout at Bear Lake or the gorge. On one side it allows you to see what's going on through the whole water column and on the other side you can zero in on the bottom or anywhere you chose.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I agree with OC, it is helpful to be able to zoom in on the area of interest. For those critters like macks, eyes, and perch that tend do congregate at or near the bottom you can get a much more detailed picture of what they are doing.

When you are jigging it can mean the difference between just seeing a fish down there or seeing him come up and look at your lure six inches off of the bottom. If he takes it, then you are doing something right, if he passes, change your presentation till he does.
[signature]