Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow Saturday (4/22/06) at Lindon
I decided to drag the wife out of bed and make a trip down to Lindon Boat Harbor to go after some of the kitties that Tube Dude has been catching on Saturday morning. Unfortunately I am still trying to get the skunk smell off. We fished off the south dike early on, and then tried the north dike later on. We were using chartruese corkies with red spots. I tried crawlers and cut bait, but didn't have any takers. I didn't see anyone catching anything, but on our way out we talked to some guys that had caught a couple mud cats using shrimp. I guess I will have to head back down later this week to redeem myself.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Ya gotta be careful about believing anything that TubeDude guy posts. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As we all find out, conditions and fish bite can be different on any given day. The seem to operate on their own schedule, for their own reasons. You can go for hours without an inquiry and then all of a sudden everybody is catching fish. It can go the other way too. Great one day and dead the next.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I always take three baits when I go a-cattin'. Nightcrawlers are a universal bait. Chub minnows are next in line...from 3" to 4" size work best for the average kitty, but the ones over 5" will catch bigger fish. Carp meat works on all species too. Try different size pieces. Sometimes they hit small pieces better than larger ones. At other times you need a big long strip to light them up. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the other premier baits in Utah Lake is white bass flesh. However, since the white bass population has taken a dive, I recommend that we release all the white bass we don't absolutely have to have for a meal. They need a lot of help from the harvesters until they can have a couple of good spawns in the higher water and rebuild their numbers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you can get it, sucker meat is primo too. The Jordan River hosts a pretty good run of suckers about now and you can find a lot of them in the Sevier River and other southern streams. If you go to Bear Lake, it is usually easy to bag a few big suckers fishing worms off the outside of the dike around the marina.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The corky rig can be either good or bad. Sometimes you just have to chuck the bait out without any weight or gadgets and let it lay undisturbed on the bottom. Other times you will do better with the bait hanging up off the bottom, either on a corky rig or under a bobber. Go prepared for any situation and keep changing both rigs and locations until you get into the fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My personal guarantee? After this coming warming trend everybody will be smiling more...except the fish.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have been to utah lake 5 times in the last 2 weeks and have not caught one single fish myself. But I keep going back, I have tried with Carp meat and shrimp and crawlers and nothing!! But I am going to catch a big un one day. All I wants is one good catfish to eat this summer and I am set. I eat lots of trout though. Good luck, you just have to keep going back and you will get lucky!!
[signature]
[cool]Like TD says, this coming weekend will be prime. After today, it's supposed to be at or near 70 for at least a week. If I wasn't welcoming a new son into the world in the next few days I'd be right out there with the rest of ya. Good luck at U.L. those of you going this next week, 'cause it's going to be good fishin'!

I plan to get back out there on my birthday (Thursday May 11th). I'll be calling in "sick" that day. Anyone care to join me at Lincoln Beach that day? If not, I'll have fun anyway solo in my tube nailing the cats (and hopefully an 'eye or two).
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Geoff, good luck with the new addition. Hope everything goes well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I may join you on the 11th. I would actually be pre-fishing for a catfish expedition we will be doing the following day...Friday the 12'th. The Tribune is going to be doing a special on catfish catchin' and eatin' on the 15th, so we are gettin' the fish, the pics and the recipes worked out on the 12'th. Maybe you can delay your birthday bash a day and be a part of it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yup just keep going and keep trying, youll backem sooner or later!![cool]
[signature]
What do you think the record is for a cat at Utah Lake?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The Utah state record channel cat came from Utah Lake in 1978. It weighed 32 pounds and 8 ounces. Cats over 20 pounds are rare but there are a couple every year, and quite a few between 15 and 20.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Hmmm....that sounds fun and tempting. How many people are they expecting out at that shindig on Friday? If there's gonna be hundreds then I might have to pass. If less than that then I think I might be interested. EDIT: Looks like I read that wrong. Doesn't sound like a lot of folks will be there, so yeah! I think I'm in on Friday the 12th. Have tube, sonar, and kittie bait and will travel!

Also, thank you for your good wishes. Right now the wife is dialated at a 3 and 75% of phase (whatever that means, but I think it means we have less than a week, most likely).
[signature]
Don't ask. Just tell her how beautiful she looks and how great of a job she is doing, and whatever you do NEVER NEVER not even after it's all over please NEVER tell her anybody could do that or compare any pain you've ever had or ever will have to the rest of your life to her pain during labor! [Tongue][laugh][crazy][blush][angelic][cool]
[signature]
[url "http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/utahrecords.php"]Click here[/url] for a list of all Utah State fishing records.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I am communicating with Brett Prettyman (of the Trib) today about moving the news article up a week. If that happens then we will probably fish next Wed. or Thurs. and Thurs. has a forecast for potential showers. Don't change your birthday plans.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Good advice, cat_man. I might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I ain't the dullest either! I wanna live a long healthy life, so I think I don't think I'll make any statements about how pregnancy/childbirth can't be that painful, etc.!
[signature]
[cool]O.k., sounds good. Prettyman is pretty darn knowledgeable! I have his book (can't remember the name, but it's about fishing Utah's waters), and it's very good. It would be a pleasure to fish with him (as well as the tubemeister himself-it's been a while).
[signature]
Thanks for the info!!
[signature]
Quote:[reply]
[cool][#0000ff]Ya gotta be careful about believing anything that TubeDude guy posts. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah...well I'll have you know that I just got back from Lindon and I caught three channel cats, some white bass, walleye and carp. From 9 AM to Noon.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I left all the mudders for you udder mudders.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff](I'll put up a post with pics)[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well TubeDude, I don't know what happened but my whole post didn't work. [crazy] What I was trying to do was quote you about being careful about believing anything that you post, and say that it is hard not to believe because you usually have photographic evidence. I guess I should preview my posts before submitting them. Congrats on the catch today.

I was also going to tell Fishdog 78 not to worry. The fish have not broken me yet. I will just have to make another trip down there this weekend to redeem myself (hopefully).

On Saturday the cutbait that I was using was perch meat from the dinks I caught icefishing that were too small to fillet, but unreleaseable because of their swim bladders. Do the kitties like perch, or should I go get some of the suckers from the river?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Perch meat works great in Utah Lake. I use a whole fillet as a strip bait for big channels, and I have had walleyes slurp it in too. I cross cut the fillet strips and use the little pieces to tip jigs. Good stuff, and better to use than white bass right now. The whities need some relief.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I sometimes drag a whole crawler around, with a bit of perch meat on the tip of the hook. If I am feeling really diabolical, I will squeeze on a drop of shrimp scent. Serve them babies a buffet and let them choose what they want.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sucker meat is always good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks for the kindly words.[/#0000ff]
[signature]