Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scaling Fish the Easy Way
I tell ya fellas, i've scaled a many of fish in my time, and I thought i'd pass on this helpful hint while it was fresh in my mind. There are many scalers on the market that claim they do the job better and this and that. I tell you what works better than all of them, a regular old kitchen spoon. Yep, a spoon. So next time you get a mess of titty bream or a slab of sheepshead or seabass, give the ol' spoon a try, it'll save you some time and frustration.[cool]
[signature]
a spoon is a good tool in cleaning fish used a electric duck feather remover once to get through a mess of crappie. but now i just fillet the fish and the scales off. first i take the fish and slice down the back then when i am clost to the tail i stop leaveing about half a inch or so then turn the fillet scales down still attached to the fish and fillet the scales off.works really well with all types of fish and all you need is a very sharp knife then you get the meat and the scales stay on the fish.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Some guys have scalling down to a science. I have seen fishermen at the docks that will fillet their catch and then proceed to just skin them. Once they get it started they just peel the skin away from the fillet.
[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
yeah i think i have seen about a dozen different ways to scale and fillet fish.
[signature]
I'm with daymere - cut 'em off!

I've peeled catfish and triggerfish, but most aren't worth the effort. A sharp knife is all you need...
[signature]
i also fillet the skin off catfish saves time and mess is smaller,also my grip isnt what it used to be so its great for people with hand problem or carperl tunnel.
[signature]
I too have used every thing to scale fish, in cluding an electric scaler (what a joke [pirate] ) I ended up wearing about half the scales that were removed, the other half flew ten feet in every direction.

the best tool on the market was something shaped like an oval ice cream scoop with teeth.

the best tool for me was a good stiff butter knife.

I no longer scale fish any more, I do the fillet and skinning thing mentioned above too....
[signature]
same here...i fillet and skin the fish...all of them that i take home. I do scale skipjack on occasion, i just use the back side of my fillet knife.

cyas
rc
there are two fish I dont skin or fillet,

Pike and Trout, I cut the heads off gully them. then I bake or pan fry them skin and scales on.

I dont scale or fillet anything I plan on smoking....
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I don't bother scaling or removing the skin of a trout. Their meat is so tender that it would fall apart while cooking if there wasn't anything to hold it together. I microwave the fillets for about a minute [to seal it] then BBQ it until done. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]