Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IT'S ABOUT TIME
[cool][font "Times New Roman"][size 3] Well, February is nigh upon us. That means the largemouth will be getting into prespawn mode in many of our favorite bass ponds. It also means that crappies will be moving shallow and finding structure for their annual "spring fling". There should also be an upswing in activity amongst the white bass, yellow bass and stripers...all of which spawn in the spring. For the next couple of months, it is going to be tough to decide where to go, whenever you carve out some time to hit the water.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I didn't have a real good February last year. I got a late start in the month and still hadn't worked out the best patterns by the time a buddy came down from Utah for a couple of days of tubing. We hit the Agua Fria arm of Lake Pleasant one day...for a solitary 18" largemouth and a couple of white bass. The next day we hit Butcher Jones, at Saguaro, and I let him try out my tricked out Kennebec. Fish were snobbish that morning and we zipped. [/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]The first week of March, however, someone rang the dinner bell and I had great action wherever I floated my craft for most of the rest of the year.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]For those with boats, who know how to find the warm pockets on the south facing banks...on the north sides of the lakes...this is the time of year to hunt up some big old mamas full of roe. If you want a shot at a state record, February is the month to get it done.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Traditionally, big bass in February have been taken on big baits...jig and pig, spinner baits, big worms, etc. So rig accordingly. Both Saguaro and Canyon have become favorites of the big bass fans, and produce more than a few ten plus fish each year.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Too early to tell how Roosevelt is going to be...either for bass or crappies. That water level just keeps dropping. The spring structure we fished last year is high and dry. The structure we fished three years ago is a half day's hike from water's edge. Kinda scary. But, if you have good sonar and know anything at all about crappies, you should be able to stretch your string on some good fish. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]And, it's crazy, but every year there are some huge largemouths taken on tiny crappie jigs fished for bass. The same for flatheads. I once caught a 27 pound flathead, out of my tube, while casting a jig for crappies near shore on 6# line. Got a good long ride out of that one.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Anybody got any ideas on where the early hot spots might be...and a good game plan for lots of action?[/size][/font]
[signature]
hey there thbe dude ! sounds like you guys will be off to an early start ! we still have 14" of ice to deal with here but i'm going to keep reading your posts to get me primed up for the thaw .
[signature]
[cool]Well, I wonder if I might have taken my spring fever pills too early. Last week we were in the eighties, and this week it is back down in the sixties. I had to break out my thermies and heavy coat again.

The largemouths were acting like they were moving in to spawn, as were the crappies. Some folks are doing well on them at both Roosevelt and Bartlett, with a respectable number coming from Pleasant...along with some nice whites under the lights at night, in the north end of the lake. Both Saguaro and Canyon are showing signs of life too, with some big largies showing and a number of spawning smallies. And, for the dedicated walleye guys, the marbleeyes are stirring shallower now too.

Our forecast for this week includes some rain, around midweek. We sure need all we can get, but it would have been better to get it during the winter, and not just when the spring fishing is gearing up to break loose.

That warm weather sure messed up our "ice fishing". The ice cubes don't last nearly as long in your glass in those warmer temps. (chuckle - chuckle).

Hey, lonehunter, congratulations on a job well done on your board. Appreciate you stopping in for a visit. If you like, I'll ask Angler or Dave...or ssor...how to PM some warm Arizona sunshine out to you. I'm still getting the hang of how to work some the the neat refinements on the BFT site.
[signature]
upper teens here but don't send it too soon , my camera went down the hole this morning and i have to start all over again ! if i did win it i thought of putting it up again for the most new members brought in on one of the lesser used state / country boards by any member . now that would be a contest !

hey when l.m./s.m. bass are spawning in the s.e. part of the mit , they really tear up anything red and white ,( especially rubber maggots ) i don't know why , they just do . they do the same there ?

i found some people who will pick you up at the end of a river run up here , they will drive you and your gear back to your car or drop you up river from your car . i might try the tube this year , first one will be homemade . or the one that is advertised here ( gotta keep that extra money stash from the wife or it's new shoes or a purse for her )[Wink] .
[signature]
[cool]Red and white is a universal killer combo for many predatory species. However, there can be different results with different colors of red...and different sizes and shapes on the markings. The old red head and white body was originated on some of the old time bass plugs...which are now worth a fortune if you still have any in your inherited tackle boxes.

I recent years, with advancing technology, there are many shades of whites and pearls...and innumerable variations of reds. On spoons, crankbaits, jerkbaits, chuggers, poppers and other hardbaits, red heads and red stripes are still a popular combo with whites. In plastics, some white and pearl twisters, grubs and shad bodies incorporate red heads or tails, and even red stripes molded into the plastic or added as a top color.

My favorite red and white combo is with white twisters or shad, using a red head or a white head with a red eye. Sometimes the dark red works better. Other times a hot red gets more strikes. Always have both.

In much of the south and the southwest, spawning bass are more likely to pounce on something they perceive to be a natural nest pillager...like lizards (salamandars), crawfish, sunfish or shad. Big plastic worms, in a variety of colors often irritate big mama bass into grabbing them and carrying them out of the nests.

But, sometimes "less is more". I have finessed some big bass with the use of small lures, when I got little or no response to the larger standard offerings. It pays to know the waters and the habits of the fish where you fish the most. There can be great differences in the habits and preverences of the same species in different states and climate zones. Heck, they can act different from one day to the next in the same body of water.

That's what makes fishing fun. No matter how much science we bring into it, there is still a lot of art that can not be replaced by technology.

By the way, what kind of camera did you sacrifice to the fishing gods? Was it really an accident, or just another fisherman's excuse to upgrade? "Gee honey. As long as I have to buy a new one, why don't I just spend a few more dollars and get that one I have been lusting after?" Hope it works.

On that float tube thing, why not post a "TUBE WANTED" shot on a few of the boards here at BFT. What you will find about us donut dunkers is we are kind of like computer nerds. Always got to upgrade. That means you can probably pick up a decent used tube with a good hard drive and a lot of RAM for a very reasonable price.

We might need to discuss that river running thing. Unless you are experienced...and the water is deep and slow...you should think about honing your skills on still water first. Not that river running in a tube is not both fun and productive, it's mainly that you need to be able to concentrate on fishing, and not so much on staying alive in moving water. Tell me about your river.
[signature]
yes i do have a small colection of old plugs , and old mepps and daredevils , i have some of the old flatheads and some alumimume flatheads too . my most unusual are some silver and some copper spoons . most are from the sixteys .
fishing with light tackel is the way to go ! skill and some finess go a long way with some of thoes well educated big fish !
learn to crawl before i start to walk , gotcha , thats the smart way to do it , i've heard of kyackers getting rolled over and pinned against brush piles , bad outcome , even with others trying to free them without sucess . well taken advice . thanks .
the river would be the au sable n.e. corner of the mit . flow conditions and temps are easy to get on the net from the d.n.r. , it has a varied set of charateristics , some spots only a few inches up to eighty feet . cats up to coho . and plenty of untouched wilderness to view along the way .
great idea on the add thing , as soon as i get some mad money together i'll give you the heads up before i place it , thanks buddy ! your pal lonehunter
[signature]
Yeah well the buddy that came down isnt going to make the same mistakes of coming in february this time. But april is sounding right down my alley. By the way the scarab class tube you borrowed me for the day is sure nice to kick in. I hope to grapple with the yellows this year for my first time. And if you know of anywhere to catch a 2lb plus crappie lets go there I want a mount of a good size crappie more than anything right now. And i haver lassoed a flathead so this would be next on my list. Am I askin to much? haha.

Good to see the early spring coming for my benefit. Hopefully it will cooperate when I get down there. Given there is enough water to stay afloat.
[signature]
[cool] Let's think Roosevelt Lake for both the crappie and the flathead. Good shot at both the slab crappie and a decent flathead. They get up to about 60 # in that pond.

I'll have my new Outcast craft by then, so I can let you power my lonesome retired Kennebec around all you want. You will need that extra flotation if you get "bendo" with a flathead. They pull real good.

Here's a pic of a 27# flathead hooked on light tackle while fishing for crappies. That happens a lot in Roosevelt.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage0067200.jpg]
[signature]