Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there really a need for all that horsepower?
I was just looking at the new 300 HP suzuki outboard that came out, and I can't help but wonder, Why do people have the need to go so fast?

Even a bass boat that will go 70 or 80 MPH on the water, is there really a need for that kind of speed? What kind of edge does the power really give the angler?

All the tounaments i've fished, fresh and saltwater, i've never had a need or desire to reach high speeds. It's understandable if you've got to go 40 miles off shore to reach your target species, but if you don't?????????????????

What do you guys think?
[signature]
[center][Tongue][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]It is all about bragging rights. My present car has 280HP. If you hit the gas too quick the car will run away from you. Many new autos have horse power way in access of 300HP. [/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][/size][/green][/font][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=16206;]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Yea if one is pulling a big boat or a trailer HP comes in handy on long grades. Otherwise it is "I've got XXX HP how many do you have?" Same goes for Boo rods. How much better is a $3500 Boo better than a $1500 one? Guess that I am going to have get bigger fins for my tube. LOL[/size][/green][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
LOL, dang it, everyone has a tube but me, I guess i've got to get one now too. [Tongue]

That makes perfect sense, though I never looked at it that way. I guess all that is true with automobiles is true with boats, atleast in the pride department. Personally, i'd rather have something slower and more reliable than something fast. I dunno, maybe that's not a priority anymore. Thank god for boat towing services.[cool]
[signature]
Well ever since them tourny guys have ruled out dynamite as a leagle method of catching bass, the pro's have had to resort to something else to hammer the top of the water to make them bucket mouths come floating to the top of the water...[angelic]

Just like Earl I got me a list, and I plan on using it just as soon as I hit the lotto, and a tube is on it, I have tryed to make one out of animal balloons but I cant for the life of me squeeze in to it. and you would thank that my permanatly mounted dunlap would tred water but I guess that button hole is a bit to big...

so dont feel to bad, you aint the only one standing on shore kicking stones in to the water...
[signature]
OK Dave, what is the big deal with tubing anyhow? Can't you do the same thing from a boat? LOL I don't know squat about tubing, as that is probably obvious.

I'm trying to find out what is so addictive about it. You're just fishing like always, just floating around right? I'd be worried an alligator or a mudfish would be trying to nibble on my toes. [Tongue] Or maybe the current take me for a ride.

It just doesn't seem efficient, especially if you have a long ways to travel to get to a good fishing hole. [crazy]
[signature]
well, the main thing that I see a benifit to is the ability to get on the water where most boats cant. there are thousands of lakes in my area that we dont have boat access to,

imagine if you are on the job and there is a lake right behind you just packed full of hungry bass and the person you are working for wouldnt mind if you jumped on the pond for an hour, you in like flint....

there are hundreds of parks with out boat ramp access you can get on to.

If I were you I would be more woried about the prevailing winds more than the current, them winds will blow you out in the ocean big time.

I know some of them guys are mounting electirc trolling motors on thier tubes...

but the addicting part? well emagine hooking on to a twenty five pounder or bigger and heading off for a tug of war with the fish having the better part of vallar. With out a doubt you can play those bigger fish better from a tube with out having to wory about having your reel stripped...
[signature]
[cool] I guess it would be a pretty interesting fight strapped in a tube if you hooked a larger fish. And the lake access makes good sense.

Steve said he had an extra tube if I was ever able to make it to Cali for a visit.

I wish it were easier to get BFT members together Dave. I was thinking of this the other day, and i'd be willing to bet the majority of the members are strung on money, and can't afford the trip to get together with other members that are far away.

Has BFT ever considered sponsering a meeting, as to taking some of the expense away from the member, and allowing anglers to meet. Could you imagine the benefit of such a wide spread gathering? Even just getting the Mod's together would be a start. I'd be willing to donate some water time on my boat, and even organize. What about a fund raiser? Any thoughts on that?
[signature]