Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batlett/Saguaro
[center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view&post=28736"][Image: winner.gif][/url][/center]Well since I started fishing Saguaro first lets go there what do ya think tube duder?

Saguaro.

Went out friday evenin mostly to check new motor, after that was dialed in I decided to fish shallow since the water temp was hovering around 61-62 degrees!!!Spawn?? I was tossing a light mojo rig up on real shallow shoreline and worked it back down to about 20 feet. Fourth or fifth caught one in about 2 foot of water and shortly after caught another around 2 foot of water. At this time the sun was fading fast then right at dark stuck a 8.12 in about 10 foot. made for a great pic and let her go back and finish finding a good nest. I think that the spoonin time is about expired at this fine lake and time to break out the plastics and rip baits for those prespawn bass. Buddies of mine were saying at day break that there was a decent top water bite around shiprock.. I am heading out tomorrow (tues) for some more at saguaro. I will keep you all posted.

Bartlett,

Hit Bartlett for some pre football fishing on sunday and if you read my post last week all that still stands. Fish shallow tappering main lake points with small worms and lizards, the bite is very very soft and those little bullies wont give you a second chance, its all just pressure no tick tick or line moving just pressure, and if you feel the tick its to late that was the fish dropping tube dudes bait and heading over to mine he he. Anyway we ended up with about 10-15 small bass biggest weighing in at a whopping 2.1 pound, The Flatheads are schooling up chasing shad as well, Saw the graph lite up so I dropped a spoon down and (wham) flathead 4.3, went back down flathead 4.7, went back down set the hook on a flathead 20+ that didnt want any part with coming to the surface so instead took off at about 90mph with a big (Snap) which would be my line and one of my favorite spoons by manns bait/basspro is called a Legends Rattlin Spoon, which was available in last years basspro but has since been discontinued. Bartlett is always worth the trip seem to always catch fish just nothing over 3 pounds.

Tube,

You know I have been posting and asking for a fishing date from you and these excuses.....my little nephew can come up with some better ones then the "back ache" lol just messin I have been there before and I dont envy you with that problem. I am sure the time will come where Tube and I can enjoy a great day on the water when I take that Stratos by his tube at 65!! weeeee. On a serious note that will be a day I look forward to fishin with the Moderator ( I know you are all jealous )

Good luck all and tight lines

fish on
[signature]
[cool] [font "Times New Roman"][size 3]IT'S A MIRACLE! Reading that report just healed my back. Great stuff, my man. But, ya gotta lighten up on the old moderator. Some of us got work and responsibilities, and just can't go rocketing around the local lakes in boats with new motors...harrassin' vulnerable float tubers. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I gotta warn ya. When you see my craft, with the "rod rack" full of rods, one of those is a surface to surface missile. If you get close enough to see the PWC and water skier stickers on the side of my Kennebec, you will note I can be dangerous. But, by the time you are close enough to see them, it will be too late for you too. 65 miles an hour ain't fast enough to outrun my "Stratos Stingers".[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I don't know if I would have admitted, on a public forum like this, that you were actually spooning for catfish. There goes the neighborhood. I gotta admit I have far too much fun with those dudes too...especially the predatory flatheads. I've wrestled some big ones from my float boat. About that "big one that got away", I'm bettin' it was a big old foul-hooked carp. But, then again, I bet on the Raiders too.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]The good news is that I just "renegotiated" my work arrangement, so that there's a good chance I can carve out some mornings or afternoons midweek...for our first date. Gotta warn you though. I'm not "that kind of guy". And, I wouldn't think of "front-ending" you on your own boat.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Keep those fishies busy, and put a mark on the water if you find some around Butcher Jones. I may be able to get out for awhile Saturday morning with Mrs. Dude (Tube Babe). She's been developing a severe case of fishing withdrawal symptoms too, and if I wanna maintain the domestic tranquility, I should take her to the dance first.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Have you heard anything about that area...as far as trout-chasin' largies? If you hit it right, it can be scary. And, in my "exempt" craft, I get to work inside the no-boats buoys. Nyaa nyaa nyaa.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Funny,

Talking about the Stratos Stingers lol I have burnt up a nice Pfluger reel by sticking a spoon in some wakeboarders boat, cause they got reeeeelll close within 20ft LOL. Took it back and got another one (dont tell) When we got back to the dock we sure did get some bad looks from the ole power squad #$$holes. And I wont hesitate to do it again next time I am buzzed by those damn wave machines. I like people I consider myself a people person buy damn PWCers and Wakeboarders there is a fine line between good and evil, and they cross that line more often than not.

Was out on Sauguaro on Tuesday most of the day and stuck 8 fish all in less than 20ft, Yes the spoon has come off (unless the river is runnin)and I am in the spring fling as far as baits are concerned. Biggest fish on Tues was a 4.3. Some of the fish were real pale (comming up from deep water) and some had been in the shallows for a while (real dark color).

Tube its time to get out. I will be out on Friday afternoon. Blue Stratos you know the one....with the good lookin guy up front.

Fish on
[signature]
[cool]Whimper, whimper. You really know how to hurt a guy. I am going to need to rest my back for at least another week, but then...LOOK OUT.

Sounds like we have another thing in common...PWC aversion. Over the years I have hauled them off their craft with a "wrist wrap" cast, and shot them in the butt with steel balls from my wrist rocket. Hey, when they start using my kick boat as a slalom buoy, I get a bit testy. But we fishermen are being unfair and unrealistic. We need to realize that the PWC contingent really owns the lake and we are merely trespassing. BULL****.

Man, I can't wait to sling some shallow stuff. That's fishing. The other thing is just dredging. Oh yeah, it's all fun...especially when you stick a hawg...but it just seems so much more enjoyable to get up close and personal...hand to fin combat.

Now what is it I need to look for? A good looking blue Stratos with a hopeless derelict at the helm?
[signature]
I work with a guy from arizona who used to fish bartlett a lot. Stories of fast crappie fishing. But the real kickers are the stories of the big cats. Shoot he was saying the got one huge cat one night at about 2:00 am couldnt even get it on the bank, it just snapped the 20 lb test like nothing even after a 40 min fight had already taken place.
[signature]
[cool]Yeah, there are some sixty pounders in Bartlett. And, when their metabolism is high, during the warm months of summer, they are about as tough as any fish you ever want to hook.

The one thing that really makes flatheads different than channels or blues is their preference for living prey. The best baits are live sunfish, suckers or small carp. They are aggressive "sight feeders" and they are frequently hooked on crankbaits and plastics being fished for bass or other species. They really slam a lure when they hit, and can run lilke a freight train.

Many flathead fans claim that they are the best eating of all catfish. I do not disagree. I cut big thick fillets of each side, and then slice thin steaks from the fillets. Deep fried, with a good coating, they are very mild and melt in your mouth. I especially like the "belly strips" off the big boys.

Given that flatheads are big and strong, it is amazing how many big ones are caught on crappie tackle each spring. While the fish are still charging their batteries in the warming spring water, they will hit small lures too. The Kansas state record...over 100 pounds...was taken by a crappie fisherman on crappie sized gear. I have taken several between twenty to thirty pounds on six pound line and small lures.

If you really wanna get into some hand to fin combat, Predator, you oughtta come down and give these bad boys a try. Xman has a trip planned down her for April, and we are going both for a 2# plus crappie, for his wall, and at least one flathead over 20#, We will probably focus on Roosevelt Lake, where the odds are pretty good for both.
[signature]
This guy was saying they catch the cats on bluegills. Crappie on minnows. Wouldnt mind one of them big cats!
[signature]
congradulations azbassman ! grrreat post !
[signature]