Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need new trailer tires? You better save your money
The trailer that my 21 foot center console rests on is a single axle trailer. I priced tires for that trailer and could not believe the price of a 6 ply tire. HOLY CRAP!

The boat weighs a little over 4000 pounds, so I have to have a 6 ply tire or greater. And the size I have to get is 225/75R15's, which makes it worse 'cause they are a pretty good sized tire. Just two tires put on the rim was 120 bucks. That seems kinda high, and that's the cheapest I found after calling every local dealer in Florence, SC.

I guess it would ballance out if I had a duel axle trailer, rather I have to buy 2 expensive tires or 4 cheap ones. LOL I guess they getcha either way eh?
[signature]
Just went through the same ordeal last week. [unsure] $120 for 2 -13 inch tires [pirate], 6 ply as well. Crap i could put 4 tires on some of the hondas that i have owned for that....lol. Oh, well, don't have to have to worry about it for a while.

How long are these things supposed to last anyways?

cyas
rc
Tire rubber gets old after 5 years so you should check for cracks at that point. Had a bad axle on my last trailer and went threw two sets that season, ooch.
[signature]
trailer tires have a harder sidewall,which in turn will crack sooner than car tires,they should be armerall on a regulare bacis,and covered from the sun when not in use,anything made from oil is going to be stupidly priced.it seems that its only going to get worse
[signature]
That's good advise. The sun is the number one killer on tires. Also, speaking of oil, even better than armorall, get a rag with a VERY LIGHT coat of oil and go over your tires. It will soak in the rubber and keep the tires conditioned; way better than armorall. But armorall works fine too.
[signature]