Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell
Six of us with three boats made the six hour trek to Halls Thursday afternoon. Arrived after 10:00pm, so could only wait til the morning to fish. After being pretty excited to get launched, and having someone else there to interupt my launching routine, you guessed it, pulled the old forgot to put in the bilge plug routine. Good thing I was at Halls with no one around, because I rocketed to the ramp, latched her down, and fell in to get the plug in. 59 degree water at the ramp with the wind picking up was not the start I wanted. After getting ribbed by the buddies and comments about americas best videos, we headed up lake. Pretty serious channel chop relegated us to Hansen. It looked like Willard bay at 1:00pm mid summer at the South Marina. Boats about every 50 yards near the back of the canyon. Only caught a few smallies and a nice largemouth before trying to troll up stripers to no avail. Tried Moki for a few hours with only a few more smallies. Went to the back of Bullfrog, and then tried by the ramp. I didn't get anything, but one of our boats got a couple nice smallies ther before we gave up trying to keep the boats in position with the wind. Saturday, no wind motored up to Cedar and the group was able to start picking up Walleye, Smallies, and a couple of yearling stripers. Moved to Red Canyon and had a ball with some big stripers. Most were caught trolling a ridge near the back of the main canyon with a 30ft taildancer, a deep thunderstick, and a Norman Deep 22. Most fish were 5-7 lbs. Moved back down lake to Knowles with liitle success. Sunday morning only had a few hours before the ride back, but tried Halls Creek Bay. Only caught a few smallies, but found some sunken tumble weeds in the back of a cut that was loaded with Crappie. Had a blast hooking good sized slabs with a crappie jig under a bobber. All in all a good trip, with the exception of the wind on Friday
[signature]
[sly] I plan to go down to Powell in the middle of May. It will be the first time fishing there. What kind of tackle, lures and bait should I take.
Thanks for any help!
Luv2hookem
[signature]
Go to [url "http://www.wayneswords.com"]www.wayneswords.com[/url]

Wayne has listed recommended lures, rigs and fishing tips. Also lots of good people on the fishing forum that will answer your questions that are not answered in the above lists.
[signature]
I'll second the Wayne's Words recommendation. I love BTF and am not encouraging anyone to leave, but for straight-up Lake Powell info, Wayne's Words cannot be beat--in fact, that is where I found out about BTF! Just give yourself about 50 good hours to absorb all of the info out there and budget about 8K to get all the equipment they recommend (even though you could probably catch all the fish you ever wanted with a pack of hooks and a bag of anchovies).[Smile]
[signature]
They are absolutely correct, Wayne is the man on Lake Powell. It depends if you are fishing North or South for stripers. South it is fishing with anchovies, North it is trolling with lures for the most part. Bass were hitting spinner baits, grubs, and senko's. Best color for use seemed to be motor oil or chartrues with black fleck. It seemed like the bigger stripers were deeper, so deep diving crank baits were the ticket in Red Canyon. Good Luck.
[signature]