Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lure identification
Does anyone know of a good on-line, or other source to identify some of the (saltwater) lures mentioned in the various postings and articles? I hear names like 'fish trap', and 'diamond jig', and 'shrimp feather' and I'm not sure exactly what the author is referring to. Although I have a diamond jig in my tackle box, is there more than one type and is mine the same as what people are using to catch fish in this area? Everytime I see a certain type lure mentioned that I've never heard of before, I try to do a search for it on the tackle shop sites and usually come up blank. I also look for these names at the tackle shops when I go in, but I hate to appear too very 'unknowledgable' when I'm at the shop. Thanks for any help.

Steve
[signature]

Hey there Steven,

First thing you might want to do is look right here at allcoast's sponsors stuff. No, they didn't pay me to say that! ha ha

Second thing, please try either Google.com or Dogpile.com search engines/websites to do searches. Use multiple keywords of the terms in question or just play around with keywords. Example: saltwater jigs product name yellowtail
Those four keywords will get you enough to start. The more focused (fewer keywords but exact) the more relevant the results. Opps, Sorry, I teach internet search stratgies so....

You'll start seeing tutorials, tips and tricks mixed in with the product sites too.

Have fun and happy keying,

tsurikichi
a.k.a.JapanRon
[signature]
Hey JapanRon:

Thanks for the tips. I am going to try some of the local sites and then some other search engines and see what happens. I saw your post the other day regarding leader material for the low-stretch braided lines like firewire and spider line. I switched my Penn 209 over to spider wire and have been extremely happy with it especially when jigging in deep water (100+ ft). The one problem I found with it was that I went with too small a diameter even though the break rating was high (don't remember exactly what pound strength it was now). I have not been using a fluorocarbon leader although I saw an article the other day that recommended using a 60 to 80 Lb leader on the end (I believe they were going for the big guys, like tuna). I don't recall if they mentioned anything about the palomar knot being used. It would seem to me if you used a barrel swivel between the two lines, both tied with a palomar you would be in pretty good shape. I have just switched over to the palomar myself and have found it to be very good... haven't had anything pull loose or unraval. For the fishing we've been doing lately, I tie a dropper knot a foot or so above the sinker and then attach a snelled hook with an 8 to 10 inch leader to that. I believe the leader material is probably about 20 Lb.

Thanks again for the advice.

Steve
[signature]