Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Indian River Fishing Report
May 3, 2006

INSHORE:

Looks like the winds of late have left us again and the coming weekend should provide some great fishing weather. The water got chopped up pretty well this week and it will take a couple days to get cleared up again. Get out that top water lure and get rigged for this weekend!

[Image: 100_0791.jpg]
Mike McCann with one of his redfish of the day...

Redfish remained our number one catch again this past week. Each day out there provided us with explosive action both on the flats and along the mangroves. Mike McCann was down from New Jersey with me this week and boated three nice redfish from along the mangroves. By the end of the day, he was an expert at skipping a lure underneath the lush undergrowth of the islands. Bob Wittbold and Bob Bergen boated seven redfish this week up to 26". Top water and soft baits were the table fare this week. Look for redfish from the power plant flats up through the Moorings on either side of the river. We found all of ours on the east side of the river due to the winds.

[Image: 100_0789.jpg]
Bob Bergen with a nice snook from along the mangroves....

Snook fishing around the inlet and bridges has remained good if you could get out of the winds to fish the area. We caught a number of snook on the flats just prior to the front moving in. Bob boated a nice 26" snook on a top water lure up on the flats. Snook season closes the end of this month, so plan a trip soon if you want some on the table.

[Image: 100_0788.jpg]
Bob Wittbold holding a nice redfish he caught on the flats...

[Image: 100_0787.jpg]
Bob with a 26" snook caught on the flats of Fort Pierce....

Trout was spotty for us this week. The usual areas of Queen's Cove, Harbor Branch and Bear Point have been holding trout, but was hard to fish most of the time. With the wind laying off now, the bite should pick up by the weekend. Top water early and live shrimp should get you some hits out there.

Some nice reports of flounder along the catwalks of the south bridge in Fort Pierce. We found one angler who had his limit by noon. Live or dead shrimp around the bridges have been the best bait choices. Bluefish and spanish mackerel are still around the inlet and beaches for those seeking toothy critters. Ladyfish and jacks are cruising the flats in search of a quick meal. Showers of baitfish trying to learn how to fly are all over the river.

Tip of the Week:
Thanks to everyone who recently responded to a question I posed. If you could only take one lure out fishing what would it be? By a vast majority, anglers on the river would have a MirrOlure with them. Whether a top water or slow sinker, it appears to be a part of most anglers tackle. I remember my dad using them back in the fifties in Sebastian and he still talks about them to this day. Hope you have one in your tackle box!

As always, have a safe weekend and remember, fishing is not just another hobby.....it's an ADVENTURE!

Good fishing and be safe,
Captain Charlie Conner
[url "http://www.fishtalescharter.com/"]www.fishtalescharter.com[/url]

To have my fishing report sent to you. Email me at: [url "mailto:captaincharlie@fishtalescharter.com"]captaincharlie@fishtalescharter.com[/url]

Call me at: 772-284-3852
[signature]