Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spotting Scopes
I am looking at getting a spotting scope in the $200+/- range and am wondering what experiences everyone has had with the various brands & models out there. The Vangard/Winchester 20X-60X-80mm has caught my eye, but I really know little about it or the quality of the unit. Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks, Mr. J.
[signature]
I have a bit of experience with spoting scopes. I sold optics for Sportsman's Warehouse for some time, but have since left.

I am personally not a fan with the Vanguard or Winchester. Their prices are appealing, but based upon what I have seen,the manufactures put more money into their cases and accessories than they do in their optics. The quality and durability of the structure of the scope is very poor. The optics also seemed very poor when compared to other scope.

I am a big fan of Nikon. They build an awesome product for the money. Their Sky&Earth series are on the lower end of their product line, but the quality is still there. They also have an unbeatable warranty, one that not even the big German guys can touch.

Bushnell also makes some decent scopes. Some of the low-low end products may not be so great, but they to make some "economical" scopes that aren't too bad.

Take into consideration that I haven't sold these units for over a year. Maybe the two companies that you had mentioned has improved their designs. If so, all the better.

You are the one who know what will or will not work for you. It all depends on the wheres, whens, and hows, of your lifestyle. It is obviously not a good idea to buy a scope that is too much for what you need it to do.

I would suggest that you go into the Sportsman's in Riverdale. Talk to Jack at the optic counter. He'd knows more about optics than anyone around. YOu will be able to look through and compare several different models.

Good luck with choosing and let us know what you get.
[signature]
I think the Winchester ones are just something where some 3rd party has paid Winchester to slap their name on an inferior product.

As the previous post said, probably the best you can get without paying for the high-end scopes would be Nikon. Remember Nikon's entire reputation is built on superior optics. This is why they make such a good camera (Canon's reputation is on features in the camera body, while Nikon's is on the optics). It is very noticeable in their spotting scopes. If a store will let you, take a nikon outside and test it, then try the Winchester and other brands. There is a very big difference in clarity and focus between them. I would go with Nikon every time if you can squeeze out the extra $$$.

Personally, I would love to get a Nikon spotting scope with the adapter so I can attach my camera to it. Smile
[signature]
Yeah, don't buy the winchester! I went through 3 different ones and they all had a factory defect. Buy a Nikon, you won't be sorry.
[signature]
Any thoughts on the Leupold green ring sequoia spotting scope?
[signature]
These are great optics. They used to, and may still, go under the brand Wind River, but they are owned by Leopold. I don't think that Leopold actually makes them but rather they contracted with a Japanese company to manufacture them.

The Wind River brand is built well, and they are water proof. I don't know what they are going for now, but they used to be around the $230-250. Don't hold me to that.

If I were to choose between the two, Nikon or Wind River, I would go Nikon. I think that they build a better optic. But the Wind River may be better as far as price is concerned.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to ask someone behind the counter to go outside with the scopes to compare. When I was selling, I would, on occasion, take a couple outside for the customer to compare. It is best to go when the sun is starting to set. With the light conditions getting lower, you can really see differences.
[signature]
Thanks for all the information. I'll have to check out a couple next time I am up at Sportsman's.
[signature]
You have recieved some good advice. I would look at the Nikon or Burris scopes. You might pay a little extra but it will be well worth the money.

Good look with Sportsmans optic department, you will need it.
[signature]
Your responses are why I love this site. Lots of "straight shootin" responses that allows us to draw on a large pool of experience. Thanks a bunch!!! Mr. J.
[signature]
MRJ,

I have an older Tasco that I never use. It would need a tripod. If you want to try it out I will let you. If you like it, just give me what you think is fair. I am not trying to really make money off of it, just willing to help you out.

Just drop me a PM. Good luck
[signature]
Hey MRJ, I have since upgraded to a Swarovski, but I still have my Nikon Sky and Earth Scope. It is a really good scope for the money, and I never had any issues with it. I got mine in a package deal for 350$, Scope, tripod and case that is always on the scope, my suggestion, look through them before you buy them. Everybody has there preferences. Once you get a scope you will be amazed at how many animals you can see just sitting at one spot. Good Hunting[Wink]
I was going to get a Wind River but I was told not to, look closely at the rubber coating on the outside of the scope, there is a seam which I was told allowed water to get in the scope, just a heads up. Whatever you do don't look through a Swarovski, you will want one![angelic]
[signature]
You must be livin' large to drop green on one of those sweet Sworovski's! Those sure are nice optics.

I ended up picking up a Nikon Team Realtree 15-45 X 60 spotting scope kit. It came with the tripod and window mount. I really like the optics from Nikon, and I picked up the kit for a good price, so that is nice. I had also really considered the Leupold/WindRiver, but opted for the Nikon because of the deal I got. I don't think you could really go wrong either way though.

Like Hunt4BigBucks said, don't look through the high end stuff unless you really want to see how bad you want/NEED one!
[signature]
Don't ever get a BSA! they really suck, I used one last year on my antelope hunt and couldn't see anything with that piece of sh*t so I borrowed my brothers Nikon and 100% better I could everything out their! You can't ever go wrong on NIKON.
[signature]
[Smile]NIKON IS THE WAY TO GO FOR THAT PRICE RANGE! YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH IT!
[signature]
Nikon makes great products and their warranty can't be beat. It is a lifetime "No Fault" warranty. For $10 they will repair or replace any optic - no questions asked. For the money you can't beat Nikon. I have Nikon scopes on all of my rifles and I own 3 pair of Nikon binoculars. I have sold several Nikon spotting scopes and have never heard a complaint.

If you are still looking I can save you some cash. I run a small business in guns, optics, knives, shooting and hunting equipment etc. I have accounts with several buying groups and distributors. I am in the process of opening up a direct account with Nikon. I sell the items at cost plus 10%. Optics have very large margins and mark ups. Decide exactly what you are looking for and let me know and I'll get you a price.
[signature]