Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
were are the fluke?
Has anybody been catching fluke? Around here,west south shore long island,ny, they raised the size limit to 17",but that doesn't seem to matter. one out of 50 make it,even under last years size limit yuou would be doing the same! This time last year I was catching 4-5 pounders all day(only keeping 2 or 3 a trip) Anybody doing better? Tight Lines,TIM<br><br>
Well, Massachusetts has a 16.5" minimum, so it's a little easier to catch some keepers and there are some being taken fairly regularly at the Middleground, just north of Martha's Vineyard. Mostly on squid strips or Mario's fluke sandwich rigs. No big doormats reported yet this year, though. Hope that's not a bad omen or an indicator that the population's in trouble. I think there's a lot of pressure on the stocks and I wouldn't mind seeing that minimum size raised a bit & a little more restriction placed on the inshore draggers.<br><br>Jerry Vovcsko<br>East Bridgewater, Mass USA<br>Moderator, Massachusetts Forum
Hey Jerry, Idon't think theres any worries on the fluke population,You could go ot for anhour here and easily catch 25 fluke,maybe one keeper in it, only problem seems to be size! We had a 16.5 limit last year and going to 17 was no big deal for me,but i would like to see some fattys come up already!<br>Tight Lines, Tim<br><br>
You're right, Tim...there are quite a few small fluke around, but it's the missing doormats that troubles me. They used to be plentiful this time of year around the Cape and I'm not seeing (or hearing) much in the way of big flattie reports. I'm going out again Saturday and expect to spend a bit of time on the Middleground and Lucas Shoal drifting w/ fresh squid. When the rip runs westerly over there, it usually turns up a few big guys. We'll see how it goes.<br>Cheers,<br>Jerry<br><br>Jerry Vovcsko<br>East Bridgewater, Mass USA<br>Moderator, Massachusetts Forum
Big Jim, Thanks for the tip, I was using pink and white rubber squid rigs with good sucsess today,no 10lbs but a good # of 3-4lb'ers <br>I might have to come around there if thee monsters start showin up strong there, I'm in long beach,south shore. TIGHT LINES,TIM<br><br>
Aloha Jim,<br>sounds like YOUR Harts in a Great place,<br><b>THANKS</b><br><br>[Smile] <b><font color=red>ALOHA</b></font color=red> [cool]<br><br>Dan<br>Stand Up!!!<br><br><A HREF="http://www.fishingkauai.com" target="_new"> Stand Up Fish`N Charters Kauai Hawai </A> <br>[Wink]