Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon in my tube
Well this was the first time I have tried fly fishing at East Canyon. Got there around 4pm and stayed to almost dark. My buddy and I fished a nice looking cove about mid-lake.

I first tried type 2 sink with a black leech. Had a few very light hits, but no hook ups. I was in about 10-15 ft of water. I tried several other of my go-to flys, but nothng worked. My buddy, who had the fish finder, said there were loads of fish from 10 to 25 of water. He couldn't buy any either.

I tried fast-sink, intermediate, and floating lines. I finally hooked a small dink with a green leech on floating line. The last two hours, small dinks were rising quite frequently on midges..I think. I had a few surface on a Griffith's Knat, but that was it.

Any suggestions here as far as flies, line, locations on the lake. I would like to learn this place since it is fairly close for me. I have seen several pics of nice fish caught thru the ice, so how can I get them on flies?

thanks,

J [url "mailto:dryfly77@msn.com"]dryfly77@msn.com[/url]
[signature]
Was that small cove closer to the inlet? Usually I do not have a lot of success in that cove for trout. I think that your fast sinking line was probably the way to go there,I am wondering if you were waiting long enough for the flys to get down? also changing stripping methods? sometime stripping fast creates a strike. in that cove try smaller brighter color flys,cast them next to the rocks,twitch and stop,twitch and stop.use a floating line here with a 9' leader. Post and let me know what you catch!!!!
[signature]
the cove i was fishing was not the main inlet....it looked like there was a very small inlet where i was fishing....near the Hennfer turn-off. The main inlet end was pretty murky.
[signature]
That be the one,it can be hit and miss. I usually do better kicking across to the other side and fishing about 20' off that bank working toward the inlet.
[signature]