Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake X Smallie May 6
I've enjoyed everyone's posts and learned so much I figure it is time to post one for anyone planning a Lake X outing. Advice: GO FOR IT! We fished Saturday and Sunday a.m., and Lake X didn't produce a lot of fish, but a nice quality and variety. I caught the bigun smallie (5#8oz'er) on Saturday using a minnow imitation holding off-shore in about 35-40' of H2O. Caught fish in 20-25' of water, probably chased the lure from the bank. A steady stream of soft bumps and near takes kept our attention. Even enjoyed a few nervous perch inquiries, but not very many. The big'un smallie coughed up around 10-12 dead perch minnows during the brief fight. We put all of our fish back in the lake fast and the big one wasn't very tired since she hopped off the electronic suspending scale before the weight was steady: it was flickering between 5# 8oz and 6 # even when she made her escape, flashed a bronze goodbye and headed fast for the depths. Sunday we caught some nice rainbow slimers as well as some solid two pound smallies using two inch white tube jigs soaked in liquid bass attractant: put them all back, too, so they are in there waiting for you. A good weekend disrupted by a few honey-dos. Good luck, fellow BFTers. I need to get some BFT decals or flags or whatever and maybe meet some of you on the water next time.

Tight Lines.
[signature]
Fine catch . I need to get back to Lake X . Closer to home for me .
[signature]
When we found clear water just off the channel it seems that we always had action. They were having a corporate games fishing tourney on Saturday: 17 companies entered. Guy met us at Hailstone ramp with a clipboard, papers fluttering, said, "which team are you guys?" Too early and not enough expresso for me to have clear thoughts so it took a few quaint questions to figure out what was going on. Even with that added pressure on the lake (and an intrepid guy on a ski board in a wet suit who managed to annoy eveyone) we still had fun. Good luck to you, Hells69, if you end up going. Maybe I'll see you out there.
[signature]
Sure is a nice smallie you've got there. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1] Great Report!

I've been planning my first tubing trip up there for tomorrow (Wed.) afternoon. Finally have a break from school. I'm hitting the Rock Cliffs area.

You mentioned, "[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1] When we found clear water just off the channel it seems that we always had action."

[size 2]Did you mean the main, deep channel running through the reservoir?

Any recomendations for the Rock Cliffs area (with limited mobility) from a tube? I'm planning perch imitation cranks and Senkos.

Thanks!

Nate
[/size][/size][/black][/font][/size][/black][/font] [/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
hey man, in my years of expirience up there those are the best two baits you could pick. but dont overlook the simple 4" curlytails either. caught many a nice smallie on them.
[signature]
Hey, Senko! I envy you going tomorrow with this warming trend happening. I think you'll do well. Yes, the main river channel that runs through the reservoir is what I was referring to. There was water coming down the canyons as well as from the river, so we had a lot of cloudy water that we tried to fish the edges. Best action was just off the main river channel on the side closest to the bank (south), casting toward the bank. If you have rapala or pointer imitations in shimmering lemon (that is my poor attempt at a color description, not a manufacturer's name or model) you'll probably hook up. If I were going at them from a tube I would put in at the Rock Cliffs and work along the north side and look for clearer water when I got to the "no wake" buoys. Fish the rocky points on the north side
[signature]
I like tubin', and I mean the bait, not the belly boat (even though that is a hoot, too. Yow!![sly]
[signature]