Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
repairing an existing boat rod
I have an old glass rod that I would like to repair. It currently is in three pieces, the glass blank with tip, eyelets, and foam grip on the blank where the blank goes into the reel seat, the reel seat, and the handle which is wood. My problem is this. Where the blank (about 3 inches long, below the foam grip, by about 1/2 inch diameter) goes into the reel seat (about 1 inch diameter)what do you build up the blank with for a proper fit into the reel seat. secondly what do you use for glue to hold it all together. Is gorilla glue a good option or some special epoxy. It will be used for saltwater boat fishing.
jsb
[signature]
on most rods there are Arbors under the reel seat to take up the gap. they are small ring like and graphite so you can sand them to fit. some people use masking tape, I have used masking tape and a high fiber straping tape. the Arbors are best to maintain a good sesitive feel. but sence you are worken with a wooden handle either the masking tape or straping tape would work just fine. use one inch wide tape and leave some space between sections of tape.
build up 1 section at a time to fit in the reel seat and leave a space of about 1\2 in. or so, and build up another one. make sure you have a built up section at both ends of the reel seat. most reel seats will have about 4 sectios of tape or Arbors depending on the length of the reel seat.
the glue I use is made by Flex coat it's an Epoxy water proof glue. it's real good glue, takes about a day to set up all the way. you can get it from cabelas or janns netcraft or most rod building stories.
besure to rough up the 2 surfaces before you glue them and be pretty generous with the glue. hope this helps, if you need any other help just drop a note.
later chuck
[signature]
JSB: Pressure sensitive tape that is used with cement board is getting lots of use now. It is 2" wide, sticky on one side, and has holes that are 1/8" square. When using it, epoxy is slathered on to the tape while turning the tape around the blank. John
[signature]