Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling/ downrigging question
OK here's a question for all you trollers of the deep water. I have some large lipped diving crankbaits that say they will dive 18-22 feet. If I put them on a downrigger will they dive 18-22 feet below the ball, or do they get bouyant and not dive that far? What I'm wondering is if use them at Bear lake (or any other deep lake) in 100-130 feet of water, how deep would the cannon ball have to be to get near the bottom (not counting swing back)? Is it better to use floating lures with the downriggers, since they should be close to the same depth as the ball?

Thanks.
[signature]
I'm no expert, but the crankbaits have a rating that tells you how far down they dive per foot or yard of line out. So, if you hook it up with 10 ft of line out from the downrigger ball then it will only dive a few feet further than the ball. If you hook it up 50 yds from the ball, it will probably get your extra 18-20 ft in depth. I will add that I have not had good experiences running 50 yds of line behind a downrigger ball, alway seems to hook up on other lines or come up with some sort of tangle.
[signature]
IF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT A TAIL DANCER DEEP OR REEFRUNNER, THEY RUN 25 TO 30 FEET DEEP TROLLED 130FEET BACK AT 2.0 MPH. AS FOR HOW FAR BEHIND THE BALL, I RARELY RUN ANYTHING MORE THAN 50' BEHIND THE BALL. DODGERS AND SQUID I RUN 6 TO 10 FEET BACK IF IM IN DEEP WATER. TO TELL HOW DEEP YOUR LURES WILL DIVE YOU SHOULD TROLL OVER SHALLOW WATER, SAY 30 FEET, LET YOUR LURE BACK OFF THE BALL HOWEVER MANY FEET YOU LIKE , LOWER THE BALL DOWN SLOWLY UNTIL YOUR LURE HITS BOTTOM, THEN YOU WILL KNOW HOW DEEP TO SET YOUR DOWNRIGGERS, HOPE THIS HELPS....JL
[signature]