Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview 5-11-06
Went up to pineview after work today fished it from 4:30 -8:00. Started out working over the browing point/island area. Made two pases trolling then one more pass casting from the point to the island with no luck. After burning up 2.75 hours in that area I relocated to the north fork arm. After 30 minutes of casting a 40" muskie attacked my lure right at the side of the boat, it scared the heck out of me. This guy put up a good fight coming out of the water 3 or 4 times. It took a little bit to get back to the boat then once I did I gave him the boat side release. Felt good to get my first muskie of the year.

Surface temperture was 58*-64*.
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Way to go Mike, looks like the bite is starting to come on.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3]AFdan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]Great report MGB. I was watching a show earlier where they were fishing for muskie and one of the guys got slammed right at the boat too...scared the crap out of me and I was watching it throught the T.V.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I didn't even see it coming. The first time it broke water it missed the lure. I had reeled in all of my line so I kept the lure moving with a back hand motion along the side of the boat and he kept after it naling it the second attempt.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850] Great action Mike. Gets me squirming just thinking about your catch.[/#002850][/font][/size]
[signature]
I'll bet that was quite the experience! Sounds like fun to me.
[signature]
Luv2atv and I worked around cemetary point and back into the south side of the center arm. We had a couple chase but could not get them to hit. The wind was blowing a little when we first got there but turned into a great afternoon of fishing.
[signature]
Sweet action MGB! I can't wait to get up there. Topwater or cranks? I have been catching LMB on topwater at the local holes.
[signature]
I bet that musky got the adrenaline pumping[Smile] So you just couldn't wait until after the tournament to go after those musky, can't blame you for that. And if that boat side attact wasn't enough you also get several jumps out of the deal, you sure can't beat that. Thanks for sharing your report Mike.
[signature]
I was using a J-11 bright orange rapala.
[signature]
Way to getr done . I hope to be pounding that water some this year .
[signature]
Hey MGB I am going to try for the muskies for the first time this year and I was wondering what is the pound test line you use?
[signature]
When trolling I use 17 pound mono minimum or something equivalent to 17# . Casting I like line equivalent to 14# or 17# but use a premium super line. My own opinion super lines have too much memory witch does not matter too much when trolling but when casting it can be tough to cast. You need to find a super line that you like.

Make sure you treat those muskies with respect. They need to be releasd imediately. They are a big mean fish but they do not do very well when taken out of the water for more than a couple minutes.
[signature]
MGB is right. Sometimes though, you can't get them to revive even after a short(3 or 4 minute) fight. I have had 2 die on me that were hooked, fought, and released in less than 5 minutes and they never left the water. Don't know what the hell happened. Anyways, most will do fine just get em in quick and revive them fully before you let them go.
Also, the superbraids are all i use for muskies. There have been several discussions lately on "favorites", but you have to find the one you like. I personally throw 50# PowerPro on my spinning rods for tigers. I can still cast very far and can pull up a tree if needed. Also, the gill plate can slice you line as fast as their teeth. I have not lost a musky due to line being cut(with the PowerPro) by teeth or gills. I don't use steel leaders very often either.
A Bright orange J-13? I have never tried them. I use the fire tiger or perch or brown trout. The brown trout and F.T. are my 2 favorites aside from topwater(buzzbaits).
[signature]