Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing in So California
Were is a good place to fish for catfish?
[signature]
Well, in the SanDawg area Santee Lakes & Otay Lakes leap to mind.

They like rotten mackeral, BTW. Big Grin

Fishslayer
[signature]
thank you very much i will try those places and i will let you know how i do
[signature]
[cool]There's lots of good places to pursue Mr. Whiskers in So Cal. For stocked catfish, you can't beat Santa Ana River Lakes or Corona Lake. Another good lake in Northern Los Angeles County is Pyramid Lake. Best baits are as follows: mackerel, shrimp, nightcrawlers, and chicken livers. Another secret bait is a big chunk of fresh trout guts. For the record, I have also caught cats on anchovies, sardines and barracuda chunks, hot dogs, snails, and strips of bologna. And it doesn't hurt if the aforementioned bait stinks to high heaven!
[signature]
Thanks again i am going to santa ana lake next weekend they are having pre opener to the catfish season. But i want to get out to other lakes. Kinda hard when i have one young one and another on the way
[signature]
If you wanted to try for some smaller (planted) catfish, they just planted the following City Park lakes, Carr Park Lake, Centennial Regional Park Lake, Eisenhower Park Lake, Greer Park Lake, Huntington Park Lake, Mile Square Park Lake, Tri-city Park Lake, Ralph Clark Regional Lake, Yorba Regional Park Lake. [cool]
The planted ones usually run from 1 to 1 1/2 lbs.

Here is some info from the CA DFG that could assist you in finding some of these park lakes. It comes directly from the DFG website.

[url "http://www.dfg.ca.gov/coned/fishcity/losangeles.html"]Just click on this link to go there.[/url]
[signature]
tubeN2 what is your favorite fish to fish for. were do you usaly go fishing at
[signature]
For freshwater, I generally like to go to Castaic Lake and fish for Largemouth Bass. I have a few private lakes close to my house that have bass in them too.

I will generally make 2 to 3 trips a year to Bishop CA in the High Sierras. They have Largemouth, Smallmouth Bass, Blue Gills, Red Breasted Sunfish, Catfish, Carp, Rainbow Trout, Alpers and Brown Trout.

I generally fish saltwater on the weekends. I usually fish out of Channel Islands or Catalina Island.[cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Don't forget about Irvine Lake. Bring your float tube if you have one. Here is today's report from the lake.[/size][/green][/font][/center] [center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][font "Verdana"]Very few anglers are targeting catfish as of yet, but a substantial number of incidental catches of the whiskerfish by trout anglers likely means that good catches could be made with some directed effort. The first week of June will see the commencement of catfish stocks. [/font]
[/center][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
i fished a catfish tourny there years ago i didn't catch anything i would like to try that lake again on a boat. i am trying for cats today i am going to santa ana river lakes i am stay till tomorrow afternoon i will let you know how i do
[signature]
Here is a picture of one of the catfish i caught over the weekend at Santa Ana river lakes. This was the biggest one of the bunch
[signature]
Can you repost the pic? I don't think it came out.
[signature]
here you go i am going out tomorrow to catch more
[signature]
Wow, that's good size. What kind of catfish is that? The ones I typically catch in California and Mead (Az) are more yellowish-brown.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
it is a bull head catfish caught him on shrimp and marshmello
[signature]
Interesting choice of bait. Good luck tomorrow.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
thanks santa ana river lakes is not bad for a pay place to fish nice to get away for a couple hours and get some nice fish
[signature]