Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question..
Sometime around July or August I want to learn how to fly fish. I was wondering if to begin it is just easier to buy one of the starter kits for this? I noticed at white elephant they have a complete starter kit for somewhere around 50 dollars.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][purple]Yes and no. If you aren't sure if it is something that is going to stick with you and you just want to try it, then yes.[/purple][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][purple]If it something that has been with you for awhile, and with help from a lot of people here, and you think you will pursue it further, then I will say no, get a nice warranty set up. Light weight and well balanced. Most of the big name co. have starter rods that have their warranty (TFO is one off hand that the rods are very reasonable, but nice)[/purple][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][purple]I will say that the reel might not be that big of an issue when starting out (the ol' saying, its just a place to keep your line) Later on if you fall in love like we all did, then spoil yourself with a nicer reel, but by getting a better rod, you can hang on to it for a back up when you move on to better.[/purple][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][purple]Keep in mind that it is an expensive hobby (In my case a way of life). Got waders, boots, lines leaders, tippet and of course flies.[/purple][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][purple]If you decide to go for it, let me know and I will send you a starter collection of flies to try, no charge, just trying to convert[cool][/purple][/font]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there Spokane _Angler and thanks for stopping by. Flygoddess is right on with her recommendations. [/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Since I have been fishing for a long time I knew that fly-fishing was going to be something that would keep me as interested as bait or spin casting. I never did like to buy anything cheap so my first outfit [rod, reel & line] cost just under $200. In today's money probably around 3 bills or more. I have never looked back and said "why didn't I, etc"[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3]When I lived in Woodinville I like to fish the Snoqualmie between Duvall & Fall City. Caught my first Steelhead in that area. Where is your favorite spot?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Well there is absolutely no question that I will enjoy it. I love fishing and all aspects of it and I am a patient person all I will need to do is learn. There are days when I dont mind spincasting/bait fishing, and then there are times I really wish I had a fly fishing setup. I will look around when I am getting some fishing supplies for this weekend. Thanks for all the help.
[signature]
How are Shakespear Fly rods. I happened to find one for 32.99 at a local fishing supply dealer today. I am just curious at this point. We're buying float tubes before we buy any more fishing poles since I am tired of renting boats since I have no area to store one.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][b]Hi there Spokcane_Angler, Don't know much about Shakespeare fly rods but for $33.00 don't believe that you will be getting a rod of any quality. Might need to spend closer to $100 to get anything worthwhile. Plus a good line is going to cost around $50.00. Would suggest looking for a 6wt rod. It is a good general-purpose rod. If there are any fishing trades shows [better yet fly-fishing] coming to your area they always have good deals particularity on the last day. Orvis is known to give out $25 coupons plus any other promo that they have going. You can always work one manufacturer against another. Like buying a car in an auto mart. I'm sure flygoddess will have some suggestions too.[/b][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
That is kind of what I thought. I wanted to check with you all first before I made a purchase.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I have rods made by three different manufacturers. St. Croix, Orvis and Fenwick. I like them all. Now what I have noticed is that a good line will cast much better than a so-so line. Like with photography never put a inexpensive lens on a good body. The camera doesn't give you a quality picture, the lens will do that. The camera just provides extra features and a few benefits. I have a 3, 4 & 6wt rods. I also have a boo that is probably a 6wt. My Dad had refinished the rod years ago and removed all ID. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I'll give a look for some of those rods you listed in the local fish shops. I looked around a bit when I was picking up more tackle for tomorrow and found more of the shakespear rods. I may just make one myself now that I am going to delve into the rod making hobby. We'll see how it goes.

Most of the ones I found in so called "Starter Kits" seem to be a 6wt. Might just be my locale and based on what local fly fisherman are using the most. The Shakespear kits look kind of cheap to me and I lost interest in them after reading your first post Dryrod.

I am going to try to make a couple rods by the end of June I will see about one of them being a fly fishing pole.

Like I said I love all aspects of fishing, its a family thing. We were all brought up to respect nature and also enjoy it.

And thank you for the offer for those Flies Flygoddess.

I never mentioned that my father and my grandfather were avid fly fishers. They fished both ways depending on weather and what they felt like going fishing for. So its in the blood

So i would say i am being converted!!! My wife however will be another story.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3][b]By the way inexpensive fly rods have inexpensive guides, connections, material etc. That is why they are inexpensive or "cheap". There are numerous manufacturers making fly rods. Some have a longer history than others, however in today’s high tech world I guess that one can't go wrong with an any notable company. My Fenwick Eagle was my first fly rod. [After I inherited my Dad's boo]. It wasn't terribly expensive but it did come with an aluminum tube and the guides and ferrules were acceptable. I had two Fenwick spinning rods and found them to be quite to my satisfaction; consequently I bought their fly rod. [/b][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I started out with a fly rod when I was just a boy. Have had Meany, and the cheap ones are just that. If you have the chance to get into Popper bugs for pan fish on a fly rod, you will have the most fun ever. They swim sideways and even the small ones make you thing you have a trophy. Also bass are nice on a fly rod. At this time in my 61 years, I have the old cane pole if I just want to drown a crawler or two.

Main thing is have fun, It takes some practice, but in time it will come like you have been doing it all your life.
[signature]
Spokane, great idea on the building one, the only problem I can see is the fact that you haven't FF, you have no idea of what action feels right. Fly Fishing requires a lot more all around detail. The rod weight which Dry Rod is right for your area I agree with a 6wt in 9' length, but you need to test drive some and see if you are a slow, med, or fast action flinger. I also agree with the better name brand line (one with a no clean coating would be great)
However, if you still want to build your own, check out "Hook Hackle" they have some great packages. Also, go on some of the rod building forums for some great tips. My ol' man builds rods and goes to great detail on the guides. Strings the rod up with guides taped on and puts pressure on the rod to see where he gets the best drag free line and adjusts the guides from there.
He also makes his own cork grips. Here is my Lamiglas:
[Image: Joniscork.jpg]
[signature]
That is true i kinda thought along those lines while I was fishing today. i found a local Fly Fishing shop today i am going to go look at this week and have written all this information down. Thank you all again.
[signature]
Good luck and if you have any questions on a particular rod, give a shout, maybe I can help you out.
[signature]
Will do!!! Thanks so much...
[signature]
Excellent choices, add to that TFO's great rods. Cabela's has some real nice Ross for great deals also.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]By coincidence Bob Marriotts is having a fly rod demo day next weekend. [/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]Thomas & Thomas Rod Co. Demo Day. Might be well for me to leave my wallet at home. LOL[Tongue]
[/green][/size][/font]
[signature]