Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordan river "eyes"
I know walleye have been caught out of the Jordan river . Has anybody ever had any luck and any tips on where to fish it and with what . It is the closest walleye water to me and I'm thinking about trying it out this spring . I have fished it on occasion and have caught carp and white bass on jigs and spinners . Maybe I will find a Piranha someday too !!
[signature]
[cool] ...or a Firestone...or a shopping cart. It ain't much on esthetics, but there can be walleyes in there.

I tend to take on challenges. I spent a good part of a couple of years driving, parking, walking and fishing along the Jordan. The only thing I learned was that all the fish in there are like gold...where you find them at any given time. One day's honey hole was the next day's nothing. This was especially true with walleyes. But I did form a couple of opinions, based on personal observations.

1. The post spawn period (May and June) were the best times to find feeding walleye, if ever. Some fish do drift down into the river during the spawn, but only the males occasionally whack a lure until after the spawn. Then they will all hit anything from a nightcrawler to various spinners and jigs. Plastic twisters and jigs work well in the post spawn, because the walleyes feed on the small cats in the river a lot.

2. Find the deeper holes and work them thoroughly, from different angles. Sometimes the fish respond to upstream retrieves. Other times they want your bait or lure to bounce down to them with the current.

3. The two main areas I have taken walleyes are from the mouth of the Jordan to a mile or so downstream, and a fairly long section around Camp Williams area. I have taken incidental fish all up and down the river, while casting jigs or spinners for white bass or largemouth, but have never found them anywhere in numbers.

If you want action in the spring, your best bet is the traditional spots around the main lake. But, as previously mentioned, the best bite from the big mamas won't occur until after spawning.

Anybody else? WalleyeBob?
[signature]