Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roadrunners and spinner enhanced jigs.
Recently, on the Utah general board, we had a discussion about roadrunners and spinner enhanced jigs, prompted from some success I was having at Utah lake with roadrunners and a commercially available jig called a "Charlie Bee" (made by the Charlie Brewer Co.). The difference between the two is that the "Bee" has a wilow leaf spinner attached loosely behind the jig head and it rotates the spinner up or down, depending on whether the jig is dropping or being retrieved. I bought these jigs as primarily a panfish jig and they haven't disappointed a bit. (esp crappies) What has surprised me a lot is the number of larger fish (channel cats and walleyes) that I have caught on this relatively small jig. I have used these for 2 years now and the number of channel cats consistently caught on them is getting high enough that it isn't just dumb luck (and Sadly, it isn't superior skill either). The problem with these "Charlie Bees" is that they come in only 2 sizes (1/32 and 1/16 oz heads). I can't help but wonder what a bigger offering could do for larger quarry. Tube Dude mentioned in that thread that he makes his own roadrunners. What I was wondering was if the spinner "chain" or assembly could be purchased and then attached to almost any lead head or other type of jig, or even a hook? Also, what blade shapes may be available? It might be deadly to have a small spinner chain one could clip on the almost any bait out on the water.
Thanks in advance.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry I took so long to find your post. I share your appreciation of spinner-adorned jigs. I have been making Roadrunners and other types of blade-enhanced jigs for many years. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have attached some pics to show that I make them up to 2 oz. size. These have been proven effective not only for big freshwater species, like macks, but also for quite a few salt water species.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Like yourself, I have caught a lot of cats on small roadrunners. Down in Arizona we caught channel cats up to 15 pounds and flatheads over 30 pounds on six pound line and small Roadrunners on size 4 and six hooks, while fishing for crappies or yellow bass (small cousins of white bass).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I seldom fish Roadrunners larger than about 1/8 oz. for most species, but I do make and use them up to about 3/8 oz. for some fresh water applications...usually deep water and/or large fish. In most cases, the lighter the head you can get by with, the better the action and the results. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Because I make my own, however, I can custom make my Roadrunners with any size hooks on any size heads. I usually make small heads on larger hooks, rather than small hooks on larger heads. A slow fall, after a long cast, keeps the blade twirling and presents the lure more naturally than a heavy head plummeting to the bottom. You can also retrieve more slowly, at the desired depth, if the head is light enough to keep from diving into the rocks.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Since I also make spinners and other wire setups, I have played around with quite a few different ways to add spinner blades to a jig. One of my favorites is the "Jingle Jig". It is just a short straight piece of wire, with a loop on each end and a bead and blade of different sizes and shapes. They are quick to make up and with a split ring they can attach to any jig. You mainly fish them vertically, jiggling them up and down to get the blade flashing and vibrating. Big cats and bass love them. So do walleyes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also customize some of my jig molds to allow me to pour in a piece of wire, attached to the jig hook. When the jig cools, I cut off the jig hook head and make a spinner out of the jig. These are great for long casts or for trolling. They can also be fished vertically.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is also a "spinner butt" jig that includes a spinner blade on the end of a piece of wire or mono, tied onto the jig hook before dressing with fur or feathers. You can make your own quickly by using a spinner on a swivel and running the hook through the swivel eye.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Choice of blades is a personal matter, based upon personal preference and budget. I buy the cheap Cabelas Colorado blades in 100 packs for less than 5 cents apiece. They come in several finishes. I use mainly the hammered nickle and hammered brass. I seldom use willowleaf. Colorado blades spin faster at slower speeds and create more vibration.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We have had some jig making parties, but we have never had a get together on working with wire. That might be something that a lot of BFTers would benefit from. It is simple to fashion your own spinners and to add blades to lures if you have the basic materials and know how to bend the wire...without losing too much blood.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[#0000ff][size 1]"but we have never had a get together on working with wire. That might be something that a lot of BFTers would benefit from"[/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1][/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1][/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1]I would be quite interested in that. I would also be willing to host a modest gathering of Utah county BFters at my house or employment if there was sufficient interest to do that seminar down here. Also, thanks for the input. I have a couple of ideas I can't wait to try. Time to have Cabelas melt the credit card again. [/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I am sure there are a few BFTers in Utah County that would like to have a series of "jig parties". If anyone is interested in learning how to pour, paint and decorate jigs...and to make spinners...it usually takes at least two or three sessions to cover most of the basics.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Petty4Life has had several get togethers at his place in Ogden. They are usually about 6-8 PM on a weekday evening, and are best if we keep the numbers between five and ten people...depending on the amount of space you have.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will be happy to show up with all the stuff necessary to put on a show, whenever we can work out a time table that works for most people. My preference would be for a Tuesday evening.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you want to post an announcement and open it up for signups on the Utah Board, go ahead. Do not give out your address on the board, but have interested parties send you a PM and you can send them your address one to one.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I hope your new ideas work out for you. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey TD... I just found this thread. Those jigs look AWESOME! Thanks for sharing. Where do you normally buy your hooks?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You can buy jig hooks at Sportsmans or Cabelas, storefront. However, I buy most of mine either through Cabelas online or Barlows. Their prices are close and it depends on what else I need to order. Each has items the other doesn't.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now, see what happens when your mommy lets you go wandering around and looking at things. You can get into all kinds of trouble on BFT.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Have you looked in on the Float Tubing boards yet? I think you qualify.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
LOL... Yeah, but I need to change my name to "Tubecasting"... Double meaning I guess.
[signature]