Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 05/26 Slayfest
Well, I hit Strawberry today with a friend around 7:00 AM and the slaughter commenced. Water temp is 50 degrees and has cleared considerably during the last week. We started with pointers on the south end and never switched, the action was amazingly fast, as we boated over 60 fish (six over the slot) before 11 AM when the wind got strong. The key was shallow, shallow & shallow. We did not catch a fish deeper than 8 feet, and a majority in 3 to 5 feet of water. I kept the boat at about 10-12 feet deep and we casted to the bank, often landing the lure within 3 feet of the waters edge. The fish seemed to be keying on the waters edge, possibly gorging themselves on food coming into the lake as the water comes up. Twice we saw minnows being chased out of the water by a big cut. We promptly cast right onto the jumping minnow and foreclosed on the hunter. I talked to some guys jigging as we pulled out and they had fished four hours and had six fish between them. I’m sure some of the top jiggers on the board could crush that total, but it proved in my mind that the techniques we employed today were correct for the time of year. For those going this weekend, find a nice bank with access to deeper water, put on a pointer or deep diving rapala, and work it shallower than you feel comfortable with. We took 5-6 trips to the bank to retrieve a hung pointer, but I’d say 60+ was worth it.
Nice picture of a 24incher attached.
[signature]
[cool]Nice report, dude! Gotta get me some of those pointers when my commission check gets here in a couple of weeks. Those things are awesome (but pricey too). What is your favorite color pattern? I've heard the "ghost minnow" pattern is great, but I've never seen one at Sportsmans. They must always be out of em. I saw the rainbow trout pattern and thought it looked good to try. Guess if I went right now I'd use my chub and 'bow patter rapala taildancers. Do you think they'd work o.k. too?
[signature]
Thanks for the great report!! Hope to make it up there soon.
[signature]
Very nice! You guys crushed them! Thanks for the report.
[signature]
I imagine about any minnow imitator presented correctly would score. Lucky Craft has me hooked, but other stuff works great too. I have found that if it looks like a minnow chub, redside or little cut it works. I end up buying most of my pointers off of eBay, since Sportsman's is always out of the best colors.
[signature]
Ok, here comes the dumb question, what does a pointer look like?

fisht2xtc (formerly tuber)
[signature]
They ought to pay advertising for this!

[url "http://www.luckycraft.com/luckycrafthome/Products/jerkbait/pointer100sp.htm"]http://www.luckycraft.com/luckycrafthome/Products/jerkbait/pointer100sp.htm[/url]
[signature]
Thanks for the report, you posted its just in time since I am heading up to the berry right now and staying for three days. I hope I survive the high winds that are forecasted, it could be a tough three days up there. I will have to try the shallow fishing with pointers along with my standard methods of jigging.

Thanks again for the report.
[signature]
Good luck Mike. I hope the weather isn't too rough on you and buglin. Lookin' forward to your report when you return.
[signature]
[cool]Good luck up there Mike. In addition to the winds, it's supposed to snow also in the higher elevations. Down to the upper 20's Saturday night/Sunday morning. Dress warm, dude, and good luck up there! Hope you slay 'em!
[signature]
Good luck up there, you are one of the ones I had in mind who could crush those guys I talked to.
[signature]
Thanks Piscis,

I was looking at Ebay and some people pay more, when you include shipping, than you would pay on the luckycraft website. Although I have seen that with other items on Ebay.

So are pointers that much better than a rapala of the same color? It must be the action.

fish2xtc
[signature]
Thanks guys. I am excited to get up there regaurdless of the weather it will be my first trip up there this year on soft water, I can't wait.

SEE YA LATER!
[signature]
Great report dude!Also thats a nice looking cutt. I am thinking of heading there monday depending on the weather.Thats good to hear that the cutts are really shallow chasing minnows.More aggresive fish the better the fishing is ![Wink]
[signature]
Thanks for the report . Them dam pointers are addicting . They have added some great new colors to their line up . Last year I was fishing the Berry from shore this time of year but using Maniacs (senkos) and doing pretty well . Lot cheaper than pointers for those interested . Just need to work it like a injured minnow and it works great . Maybe I'll sneak up there sunday if the "W" goes away .
[signature]