Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cisco question
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Bear Lake Mack,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I was going to send you a PM with this question, but I figured that, since others might want to know also, I thought I would ask you in a public post. Hope you don't mind.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]A couple of times you have posted that it is better to dip-net your cicso during the cisco run rather than foul-hook snagging them. Not because one way or another is easier, but because dip netting them leaves the cicso bait fish in better condition ... not damaged or all ripped up. You have also suggested that, when snagging for cisco, to bend the barbs down so that when you unhook them, they don't get all tore up.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Here's my question(s): Since the regulations don't allow bait meat to be any longer than one inch, won't I have to cut up the cicso to use it to tip my hooks anyway? Or can we use cicso whole? If we can use cicso whole, then I understand your logic. If not, if we have to cut them down to 1" max pieces anyway, then what does it mater that they have had a hook run through them before a knife cuts them up?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Also, speaking of regulations, does anyone reading this post know what page, in the 2003 proclamation, I can read the part about 1 inch bait meat? I can't seem to find it.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Thanks,[/size][/font]
[signature]
I'm not BLM, but here are your answers from the proclamation:

Under the heading of bait:

"Game fish or their parts may not be used, except for the following: [ol] [li]Dead Bonneville cisco may be used as bait only in Bear Lake. [li]Dead yellow perch may be used as bait only in: Deer Creek, Fish Lake, Echo, Gunnison, Hyrum, Johnson, Jordanelle, Newton, Pineview, Rockport, Sevier Bridge (Yuba), Utah Lake, and Willard Bay reservoirs . [li]Dead white bass may be used as bait only in Utah Lake. [li]The eggs of any species of fish, except prohibited fish, may be used. However, eggs may not be taken or used from fish that are being released. [/li][/ol]

And under Provisions for Specific Waters for Pineview:

"Unlawful to use whole fish or amphibians, including water dogs, for bait. Cut bait must not be larger than one inch in any dimension and no more than one piece per hook."

The restriction on using whole dead minnows for bait is only on Pineview and perhaps the other waters that have Tiger Muskies.
[signature]
Old Coot,

whole dead cisco can be used at the Bear. The limitations on cut bait size are given in the provisions for specific waters section. Mostly Tiger Muskie waters like Pineview, Newton, etc.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Sounds like you got all the info regarding the proclamation but here's the second part of your question.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I think you're missing the point about the whole quality of bait issue. This applies to any bait but I'll go with cisco here.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The best quality bait is as fresh as possible as it unthaws. The texture of the meat has not been compromised thus it will stay on a hook much longer. Bait of inferior quality; this includes snagged cisco, do not hold up as well as cisco that have not been snagged through the guts or meaty portions. These "inferior" baits have a tendency to turn mushy faster and not stay on the hook as well as bait that has not been compromised by a hook. The happy medium is that the cisco has been snagged in the head and which doesn't effect the meat but how lucky are you in this regard. That's why I prefer bonking.[Tongue][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Also how you handle the cisco after you get them, whether it's dip netting or snagging, reflects on it quality. Ultimately, bring them up and immediately freezing them is the best scenario, then vacuum packing them to better preserve their freshness. Freezer burn also deteriorates the quality of your bait. How you handle your bait on the water also effects the quality of your bait. You should keep it frozen as long as possible right up to the time of using to maintain the quaility. The second it thaws out it starts to go bad.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Yes, you will cut it up but this is not what compromised the quality of the bait, unless your knife is dull and tears the meat off instead of neatly slicing it. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I hope this helps answer your question.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Fresh, firm bait stays on a hook better and almost undoubtedly has a more enticing odor and taste.

Immediately after I dipped my limit of Cisco this year, I headed for what snow was left on Cisco beach and topped my bucket off with it. Doing so made it so I was able to spend the rest of the day at the Bear without worrying about the Cisco.

When I got home, I rinsed them off, shook the excess water off of them, put some Cling Wrap over a cookie sheet, laid them out on it in one layer, and put them in the freezer. After a few minutes, I pulled them back out of the freezer after they were partially frozen (just stiff, not rock hard), vacuum packed 2 or 3 in each bag, and put the vacuum packed Cisco back into the freezer to await the day I break them out for bait.

A vacuum packer can suck the juice right out of a Cisco. It will flow toward the opening of the vacuum bag during the process and prevent the heat strip from sealing the bag. That's why I partially freeze them. I only do 2 or 3 to a bag because I don't want to thaw out a bunch of Cisco if I'm only going to use a couple for bait.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Ah .. ha,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]My big confusion was thinking that the bait could only be one inch on any pond. No wonder I couldn't find it anywhere in the proclamation (accept, of course, for specific waters).[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Thanks everyone for all the good tips on catching, handling, and storing cisco bait. Excellent info. It all makes much more logical sense now.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]RNL, Mrs. Coot pointed out to me that we have a vacuum packer that has never been used. Too bad I didn't find that out until I frozen all my bait. I will print your post and put it with my packer for next year. Good tips.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]BLM, your attention to detail for catching and handling cisco bait might be viewed by Joe Shmo fisherman as over kill. But I believe it is that attention to detail that earns you the respect and the name "BearLakeMack".[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]KTF and Phopper, Thanks for setting me straight on the whole vs. cut thing.[/size][/font]
[signature]