Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
utah lake cats
hit the honey hole yesterday, they are just starting to come in , the females are full of eggs , caught three, two males one female, water temp was 59 at 10;00 am was up to 66 after noon , then the wind , good old utah lake wind, so we left and got off of the lake, I think that by next week they will be in there , and so will i, am planning on going down on tue got room, any one interested ?
[signature]
I was down there yesterday and didn't see any carp in the shallows. Is the spawn over or is it still coming up? The cats will move in hard behind the carp so I was just wondering when the carp spawn will be in full swinng?
[signature]
[cool]The carp spawn is usually winding down about now, but last year it went on until July. Just a long and slow one last year because of the crazy weather changes we kept having all Spring/Early Summer. With the hot temps we had the past three weeks or so, the carp spawn may be all wrapped up now, but I don't know for sure as I haven't been out there all Spring (SHAME ON ME!!)
[signature]
last week it was in full swing ,but that cold weather stopped it dead, was starting back up in the afternoon as the water warmed up. Things should be on track next week. Havent seen any cats rolling but the should be starting any day
[signature]
I went to the Knolls this morning and fishing until 9:30 am.
Not a single bite. I was seeing fish on the fish finder, but no takers.
I think I had one hit while I was packing the tube up, but I missed it.
The wind wasn't real bad, but the wave action was quite high. I was suprised at the wave action for the amount of wind.
The water was 63 degrees.
Maybe I needed to wait a couple more days for the fish to calm down after the storm.

Oh well, it was fun to get out on the tube.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Before our cold Memorial Day weather, the water temps were almost 70. That had the cats turned on. But, the drop in water temps and the wind and waves have them in a holding pattern. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They should be rockin' again by the weekend and next week should be gangbusters.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I knew I should have taken your advice and waited at least two days after the storm.
Maybe I can get out on Friday and try it again.
Some way, some how, I AM going to catch some catfish there at Utah lake.
[signature]
it looks like that I will be free for a monday utah lake trip, got room for two , any body interested ? give me a PM if so
[signature]
I just bought a boat and now want to get out and do some of that utah lake fishing. What are you using for the cats and where do you suggest we go?
[signature]
Jim, maybe by the 10th I'll be free for some catfishing. I can hardly stand it reading the post on fishing and not being able to go. Does the 17th still look like a go for Willard Bay?
[signature]
If you are in a boat, you can go about anywhere on that lake obviously, but this time of year when the cats start to spawn they really like the rocky bottom areas close to shore, and also out at Bird Island which is about 1 mile North East of Lincoln Beach. If you don't know where Lincoln is or how to get there, check out the "Utah Fishing Holes" page on this site. You can get there by going to the top of this (or any page on the Utah board) and click on "Utah Fishing" and go down the page past the "General Discussion" page. There will be directions for Utah Lake on there.

As for what to use for bait, there are a ton of good tips on that. Chub Minnows, white bass or carp meat are both proven winners for catching big channel cats. Don't use any weight, just chuck it out there on a size 2/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hook. When a big "K" picks up your bait let him take it out about 5 feet or more before setting the hook HARD. Oh yeah, leave your bail open when waiting for a pick up and run from a kittie.

TubeDude has a couple of EXCELLENT write-ups on fishing for channel cats at Utah Lake. If you send him a p.m. (private message), he'll probably send it to you. VERY GOOD STUFF in those write-ups. Good luck out there.
[signature]
You can also add shrimp to that list of baits, and of course the old stand by crawlers. I can't wait to use some carp meat though, still haven't tried that.

Also, I personally am not a big fan of fishing without weight, but I'm kinda in the minority there. I've had good success so far with using egg sinkers as my weight, that way the cats can swim off a bit without feeling the resistance. I do use a swivel and a leader, some people don't like using swivels, but I haven't had an issue...YET. Smile
[signature]
[cool]I like using shrimp too on occasion at Utah Lake. I'm attaching a link here to a picture of an 8 pounder I caught two years ago at Lincoln Beach on shrimp with a crawler dangling from right below it about 3 feet below a bobber at the 3rd springs area. It was right in the prime of the spawn in late June. That area I was standing on when I caught him is now under several feet of water...

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...ment;postatt_id=5254"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...ment;postatt_id=5254[/url];

Yeah, yeah-I know, that is ONE UGLY KITTIE! He was in a few fights with other males, it's quite obvious. There's some on this board that would swear that that guy was a "blue cat," but we have no such thing in the state of Utah. During spawning season the males take on a much darker color than the olive color of the females. Also, the males heads are much bigger in proportion to their bodies.
[signature]
I would start out at provo and go from there give me a pm and we can talk about the hows and wherefores
[signature]
The weekend before Memorial Day I did good for cats in the area just north of the north dike at Lindon. Caught my biggest one on nightcrawler and shrimp and 4 on redsides and chubs. If you want to stay away from bullheads and target just cats try redside shiners. You may still pick up an occasional bullhead but for the most part will be cats. I use a barrel weight and a size 1/0-2/0 eagle claw hook on a 15-18 inch leader so the cats can run for a second. Works for me when I am catting and can cast farther that way. Just leave your line to where it can run for a second then set the hook. Most cats will grab and go. If it is a bullhead they normally only pull in 6-12 inch jerks at a time. Good luck.
[signature]
17th is still good for me.
I was going to go to Utah lake tomorrow, but my sister is coming in tonight for Gina's graduation.
So, looks like I am not going to make tomorrow morning.
Maybe tomorrow evening, if the weather looks good and everyone is gone.
We'll see.
[signature]