Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perch Patterns
I have just tied up this perch pattern, it is on a size 4 tiemco 1750 streamer hook, I was just wondering if you guys have tied any other perch flies that can be used for trout and bass, maybe even a walleye! If so lets hear about them.[Wink] I am pretty happy with the way this fly turned out. I can't wait to try it out with my sinking fly line.[cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi there Hunt4BigBucks - those are two nice looking lures. All dresses up in the finery. Seems like a shame to get them wet.[Tongue] Good luck and let us know how you did.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]Hey those are some good looking perch patterns H4BB. You should try them on muskies up at pineview also. Now that would definitely get the blood pumping, hooking up with a big ole tiger on your noodle stick![/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Here are a couple of my perch patterns. Tied for Tiger Musky so they are 3" long:
[Image: 2006-06-08002.jpg]
[signature]
Nice looking flies fly goddess, 3" is a perfect sixe for the trout I want to catch! I love using big flies and lures[Wink] What materialss did you use on that bottom fly. I'm not that good yet, but I'll have to try![Tongue]
[signature]
The head is olive wool on top and white on bottom tied in like spun hair but much easier to work with. The gills and collar are olive, orange and white Marabou and the body is Unique Hair (sold by Orvis) or Supreme Hair (Sportsman's Warehouse) Long Like 10" and real easy to work with but real strong.
[signature]
[Smile] Big fish eat big bait. Yes, that's a fact. But in the world of Rainbow Trout, some of the biggest are caught on some of the smallest flies.
So small, I had to get somebody to tie them on the line for me.

Gnat's n' skeeters on a #20 and #22 hooks.
I just dont know how anybody over the age of 15 can see well enough to tie little stuff like that.

Tippets so weak, you can snap a fly off and never know it.

That's how it's done in the San Juan and Upper Rio Grande.
[signature]
Agreed, depends on how clear the water is, and I think time of year. Fall and winter it's the size 30's and 32's on 6X (never use 7X if I can avoid it).
[Image: 32s.jpg]
[signature]
[Tongue] OK Now, you young raging bueaty.
Your braggin! I know it too!
But it is gettin gettin me all itchy to make a run up to Arkansas to the little White for some Trout fishing.

My wife just does not understand how I can go up there for a whole weekend of fishing.
Catch a bunch, and not bring one fish home?

Trout fishing is so much like a Vacation for the soul.
However, when the Hooks get that small......?
[signature]
[Sad][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hey don't feel bad there Thudpucker, when you get as old as me it will take you about 10 minutes to tie on a fly. Changing flys today I had to sit on the bank so that the breeze wouldn't keep blowing my tippet all about. I like to use an improved clinch knot to tie on my fly. However, doing that extra back through the loop can be somewhat frustrating having big fingers and deminished eye sight, even with magnifyers.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[unsure] Yeah, I can empithise with that.

One time in upper San Juan, I had to go to the beach to tie on a fly.
It was near Dusk. I was tired and needed a break anyway.
So I had the fly in my fingers, my rod in the same hand and was almost to the beach when a Rabbit jumped up out of the brush. Almost at my feet.
Before that Rabbit jumped, I had been in a very relaxed state.
I dropped that fly, and nearly lost my rod.

I quit using the improved cinch knot. I lost too many flies while casting with that knot. I'd get the end of the tippet, with the little curly tails, but no more fly.
Now I use a knot that's essentially a tripple overhand knot. I dont know what its called. An uncle taught me that knot for Salt Water tackle about 50 years ago.
It's the only knot I know, and it never fails.
But it's a booger to tie at night, or in the wind and rain. With cold fingers it's next to impossible.
And from all that, I know why folks use that improved Cinch knot.
[signature]