Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Report - Fish Lake 6-7
Water level is still very high on the lake, 75.6°. The always shallow landing is of course still ultra shallow. Had to do some grunting and shoving to get the 16fter off the bunks. Morning (5:30am) was very clear and calm, not bad for the day after serious thunderstorms. Expected average to fair fishing due to fish forcast.

Weeds are in earlier than last year with full surface coverage in both the front end shallows. Gills are in near the shallows on there beds. Small leeches 1ft below the float in 2-3ft of water were getting alot of action. Several nice Bull Gills taken right up front 50ft to the left or right of the launch.

Also had some average large mouth action on Buzz Baits in 5-6ft of water fishing the 10-20ft diameter "holes" in the weed beds. We did get a majority of our large bass strikes in 10-12ft of water on the outer edge of the near surface weed line using jumbo leeches. Of course the lunker of the day unhooked 2ft from the boat on the surface. (never fails!)

We did haul in two post spawn crappie in 12ft of water off the SE corner as well.

Around noon the wind really started to pick up, casting and float fishing started to become problematic. 1pm we headed back to the launch.
[signature]
It is always nice to get a report on the lakes around the state. And welcome to the board, please keep them coming. I know where Fish Lake is, but maybe you can tell others. Is this the only Lake you fish?
[signature]
[reply]
It is always nice to get a report on the lakes around the state. And welcome to the board, please keep them coming. I know where Fish Lake is, but maybe you can tell others. Is this the only Lake you fish? [/reply]

Fish lake is a small seepage lake in the extreme NW corner of Dane County. It's a very short drive from Sauk City or Lodi area's roughly 5 miles from Crystal Lake. Nice wide shallows with a 12-20ft shoulder and a 50+ft hole in the center. It also shares water with mud lake via culverts. The public ramp is VERY shallow, and it's also a gas motor restricted lake. There are two county parks on the lake, one having standard park ammenities+ramp and the other being just a gravel pull off and small shoreline area (old 50's beach park long since underwater)

I do fish Lake Wisconsin, Crystal, Fish, Bone, Upper Turtle and the Madison area chain lakes as well. Though with the ramp being as shallow as it is and gas motor restricted to boot Fish lake does not see nearly the traffic near by Crystal lake does. It's not uncommon to be the only boat on the water.

(FYI Many maps show Fish Lake Road connecting to HWY 60. This is not the case, Fish Lake road now connects to Crystal Lake Rd then to HWY 60)
[signature]
[Wink] Haven't heard from ya in a while. You must not be fish-in much. Or the fish are not cooperating.
[signature]
Only been out once since then in a canoe. Been raining constantly here. Nothing like seeing an entire week of perfect weather out of the office window and then the weekend comes around and RAIN RAIN GO AWAY!

Helped my fishing buddy move the other weekend so we are hoping to get out and do a little fishing on the weekend of the 4th.
[signature]
According to all the maps and whether I look at every day this is the week end of good weather. No rain. They tell me the bugs are hatching. Fish should be feeding. Good luck this week end.
[signature]