Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wolf Attack in Idaho
Just thought a few of you that are in the mountains regularly might be interested in reading this. I happen to fish all around the Yellowstone and Eastern Idaho area.

[font "Arial"][#000080][size 2][url "http://www.idahopress.com/articles/2006/06/05/news/news3.txt"]http://www.idahopress.com/articles/2006/06/05/news/news3.txt[/url][/size][/#000080][/font]
[signature]
Man that really sucks to what happened to that guy and his dogs.We just had our little house dog die wednesday and it has hurt my family very bad.I cant imagine loosing almost all of your dogs.I am wondering if any of those wolves would ever migrate to utah .
[signature]
They already have. They trapped one near Morgan a couple of years ago.
[signature]
If there is one thing that makes me mad as hell is to think that we were not able to keep those POSs out. Why are they back? There is not a worse creature on the face of the earth than a wolf. The way they kill is the worst thing emaginable. But somehow people think that is natural and much better than a hunter taking an animal. I could go on for hours.
[signature]
I agree with ya. Wolves should have been left in Canada where the tree huggers can appreciated them! I know if I happened to see one, it would get shot very quickly. I'd just claim I thought it was a yote! Stupid animals. They have decimated the elk herd in Yellowstone.
[signature]
Real intelligent responses.
Im interested to hear your point of view on the story at hand.
[signature]
Yes, i would too. At first, i thought it would be a good idea to bring them back but now i believe it was a horrible idea. I am with TKB, if i see one it is dead because i ALWAYS carry a gun!
I took 5 pictures of the black wolf they captured in Morgan almost 2 months to the day before they caught it and the F&G told me i was full of crap!
Well, i have the pics(although not studio quality) and was less than 100 yards from it. Wolves beware! You have many enemies and you are creating many more. My 2 coins
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]That sucks for the poor guy. His dogs were pretty much his life. That photo of him holding his dog's head was pretty brutal![/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
You claim we have "intelligent" responses to the wolf problem. I'm not one to usually stir the pot, but wolves do not need to make a comeback in the US. The nature of habitat and range has changed so drastically since they were wiped out, I think nature cannot support them. Just look at Yellowstone. They put them there thinking that there would be plenty of food (which there was at the time), that they would stick to the park with only the occasional problem with leaving and bothering livestock. They have reduced the elk herd (primary food source) so badly, that very few young elk survive. Now we are left with an aging, and dying herd. Check the numbers yourself if you don't believe me. Now the wolves have moved way off of the park (just like the one caught here) to find means to survive. This is unacceptable, and this is one of the reasons why they should never be reintroduced in Utah. Our poor herds have a tough enough time surviving just competing with our exploding population growth. The deer and elk don't need another voracious predator chasing them around! You don't like my reasoning, that's fine, and you are entitled to your opinion, but whether you like it or not, I'm right on this issue.
[signature]
Thank you for letting me know I am entitled to my opinion. I actually respect your opinion. For you to say that you are flat out right on this issue is nearsighted and naive. Yellowstone is a living, breathing ecosystem that is changing constantly and consequently hard to manage. I do agree that wolves do reduce numbers of elk in the park, but drought, over hunting, disease, increased bear numbers and poor habitat are also factors. To completely blame wolves for the decline in elk numbers is not an intelligent assumption. The average age of cow elk killed by wolves in the park is 14 years (elk that are way out of prime reproductive age). So to state that the herd is full of aged elk strictly due to calf harvests is unfounded and incorrect. I do know that wolves take calves, but Yellowstone has been a protected environment for so long that majority of the population is old. Wolf numbers are leveling off in and around the park. I think it is too early in the process to exterminate all remaining wolves, but I do believe hunting them in the future will come to fruition. The following link shows the good and bad with wolf introduction. Definitely worth reading.
[url "http://www.wolf.org/wolves/learn/intermed/inter_mgmt/ystone_wolves.asp"]http://www.wolf.org/...mt/ystone_wolves.asp[/url]
[signature]
shoot shovel and shut the hell up is all a man need's too do. I hunt the ham's fork area in wyo and the elk hunting has went to sh!t last yr there was a pack of 4-6 that had what elk were there scared too death and talk about dead elk cow's calf's young bull's dead all over just a portion of the rump eat out and then left for the bird's tell me all them elk were sick cant see it all the study's and bs is done by fed's not local G&F people that see what is going on. you tell me wait a little longer every thing will leveal out BS the only way is to kill every one of them stinking murder's that's my 2 penny's worth SMOKE A PACK A DAY.............................[sly]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Well I am known for stirring up the pot so here I go.[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] We tend to call people that want to restore nature back to some point like it once was, Tree Huggers. What is wrong with restoring animals back to the environment? [/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Now most of the people on this board being Christians and believing in gods plan of creation. Why would you say these wolves should not be here? Why would you want to destroy them, unless you believe God made a mistake? Or did I read the part of the bible to respect all of God’s creatures wrong? Just because we may find something wrong with any creature does not make us right. [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]It also says that everything on this planet is for our use not abuse! So why do some people think they can kill something for no good reason when they don’t like it. I have no issue with killing of animals for our use or to protect you’re self in time of true need. But to willing destroy something because it might at some time pose a threat is pure disrespect. If you are so afraid of something posing a threat to your life or your family’s life then destroy your car. It makes more sense to destroy it then a wolf because your chance of even being hurt or killed in your car is a lot higher then most people ever seeing a wolf in the wild. [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]You may think I am being to extreme with this and I am. The point I am making is to look at things a little more in depth then how you may feel at the time. We seem to jump to hate to quick. The wolf is not any more of a [/size][/font]voracious predator[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] then man is. In fact we are the top predator of the planet. [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Now some may say Mike you bring up god so therefore this is religion. Wrong I am only using God as a basis of comparison to be used. If you believe in God and or the bible then you must believe God placed creatures here for more then something to shoot and hate. [/font][/size]
[signature]
Perhaps saying I am totally right is a little premature...my bad. Perhaps just mostly right?

Mike, you need to get a new drug dealer, yours is selling you bad stuff![Wink]
[signature]
[size 1]"I hunt the ham's fork area in wyo and the elk hunting has went to sh!t last yr"[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]So because elk hunting sucked last year, you want to get rid of a native animal? Wolves are awesome animals, and IMO have the right to survive in their native lands. Wolves were killing elk and deer in these areas LONG before any of our families or ranchers lived there.[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Just my 2 cents [Smile][/size]
[signature]
Where in the h___ do you get your information? If you believe the average age of cows killed in Yellowstone is 14 you got into a bad batch of something. Go to Yellowstone and open your eyes. How many young (yearlings or young cows) do you see ? Iwas there for two days and saw lots of old elk but did not see any young animals. It is only an unqualified opinion but it is my belief that the elk calves have a very short life span. Maybe seven or eight months. If wolves are not somehow controlled the yellowstone elk will be hard pressed to exist another ten or fifteen years
[signature]
yep kill every one of them and send me to hell so I know every one.get out of the city once in a while and see for your self's wolf's were abolished for a reason think about it..................................or smoke some more................
[signature]
Apparently, you didn't read the information that was provided from wildlife biologists that actually work in the park,(the link is above)then again the biologists probably haven't gathered as much information over the last decade as you did in two days of driving the scenic byway with your binoculars and pad of paper. Please let me know of any other information you gathered in two days of driving the asphalt, I am sure it is opinion worthy.
[signature]
Here is a quote from your study.
"wolf predation in winter has been highly selective; calves represent about 43% of wolf-killed elk, cows 36 %, and bulls 21 %"

Now I know math pretty well but I still think 43% is greater than 36%.

I could be wrong though.

For all these predators, elk calves are a major dietary component. Thus, in a very real sense, the abundance and survival of cow elk, through their annual production of young, support major links in the Yellowstone food web and will determine the trajectory of the elk population in the future.
[signature]
uh, wasn't arguing the percentages math scholar, besides the fact that those percentages represent winter kills, not yearly percentages. I agree that calves being taken out does affect the population, as I stated earlier, but not necessarily in a negative way. Large numbers of animals do not equal the overall health of an animal population. The carrying capacity of every ecosystem cannot be exceeded or there will be a crash in the population. The survival of healthy cow elk is the main component, not calves. Reread the quote that you copied below.

"For all these predators, elk calves are a major dietary component. Thus, in a very real sense, the abundance and survival of cow elk, through their annual production of young, support major links in the Yellowstone food web and will determine the trajectory of the elk population in the future."
[signature]