Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
San Diego Half-Day Slowin Down
[size 2]Wow...where did all these passengers come from?? Saturday A.M and P.M there were well over 40 passengers, feels like summer. Too bad the fish don't feel the summer vibe yet. The water temp. was around 58-59 which the sand bass didn't like too much, but we managed on the morning trip with close to 140 sand bass for around 40 customers. Not great for that many passenger, but 140 sand bass isn't bad for winter in San Diego. The afternoon had close the same number of people for only 50 sand bass, both trips may have had a couple sculpin, but nothing of a great note. [/size]

On Thursday the conditions went to hell, everything got cold, current was ripping down south at the sand bass area, so the boat went north for that calico/sand bass bite. It turns out those 8 anglers were regulars, hence the good count. Saturday there were too many anglers to fish the kelp, instead we tried the Bull Kelp with no avail. Next stop was down south of IB 4 miles south of the point for our last spot that gave up the 140 sandies.

The current slacked up Saturday to make this spot favorable for the many novice anglers, the only thing that hindered fishing was the birds. Almost all the fish caught were on cut squid because they were the only baits that made it to the bottom. Didn't take any special tricks or sacrifices to get the fish to bite, just common sense in checking your bait.

The afternoon trip was tough, heavy marine layer, a stiff wind and a current going the opposite way (changed directions 3 times). Passenger were making one giant seine net with their tangles that stretched over the entire six hours, but we did manage to get the 50 fish out of it. Same area, different time produced less...thats fishing.

The Daily Struggle (double) had a hard time fishing near the drop off, and around the kelp, but they managed to get a few bass to give in. They got dogged down pretty hard, so there were no real barracuda signs in the area.

Sunday was the same as the afternoon trip with the crappy conditions, a little more swell and stronger winds. There were some barracuda present but didn't want to cooperate at the kelp beds. The sand bass were lethargic to bite anything, and the boat kept swinging on the anchor, in other words with no excuses in it: fishing was tough.
[signature]
[cool]I saw another post elsewhere from a PBer commenting on the funky conditions the past week or so. We had a bit of a time on the Pac Voyager, too. Kinda like fishin' in a whirlpool! [crazy]

Fishslayer
[signature]
Absolutely,As STRANGE,it may seem for me,"Hasn't This WINTER,Felt like a Dragging Wet Carpet?I can remember last year that the fishing fleets,"Not Because of the DFG actions" Were Basic'ly Off-Line,except for dabb's and Slab's... no Yt,s except for the printing on paper that turn's anglers into P.I.'s to check it's viaiblity..thanks for the scoop,theres still fish out there,but take a jacket....but like i've seen this weekend, I CAN Be worth it.....[shocked]
[signature]