Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Inspections
You have to watch out for these guys and their story telling. They can occupy your ear for hours in their stories...
[signature]
I don't have a boat yet, but this is GREAT info, thank you Bro !

Law
[signature]
A Type 5 lifejacket is generally a special purpose lifejacket. I don't see them to often because they are more expensive but from my river days I think they will say on the tag type III/V. As far as them being required to be worn it is no different than the Type I,II,or III, they just need to be readily accessible. Now with that said if you run rivers in Utah there are certain sections, on the Colorado and Green Rivers, that it is required that they be worn.

Now if you are talking about the inflatable lifejackets, they should be worn but its not the law that they have to be. These lifejackets are the new wave of the future. They are expensive ($50 - $100) but you will not find a more comfortable lifejacket on the market. We use these on our patrol boats and I have one personally. They came out with these in an attempt to get people to wear them by making them very very comfortable. They come in two styles: suspenders or fanny pack. If you have one and those who don't this is how they work. Both styles worj the same but I recommend the suspenders. If your wearing it, when you fall in the water there is a cord with a colored handle on it and all you do is pull the cord and a lifejacket inflates from the pouch. They also have a brand that the minute it gets wet wet it automatically inflates. The reason I prefer and recommend the suspender style is because the minute you pull the cord it inflates around your neck. The fanny pack style you still have to put the inflated jacket around your neck but it is hooked to your waste. Just in case some of you also tube or ski, the inflatable can not be worn by the people being towed.

I hope this helps you and if not next time your at Willard show me exactly what you have. Its always easier on sight to tell you the info because I know exactly what I am looking at.

Jeff
[signature]
When are you out there and where can we find you?
[signature]
Okay here is my schedule through the next week. Friday (6/16) through Tuesday (6/20) I work from 2 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Now on Wednesday 6/21 - Sunday 6/25 on the Green River rafting and fishing. Well you know where I can be found on Wed. thru Sun, but as far as Friday through Tuesday it is a crap shoot. My suggestion for you is which ever marina you go to just tell the gate person that you would like t talk to me and I will show up. I will say this it is a little easier to find me if you launch out of the North Marina.

Jeff
[signature]
Cool. Were you out there on the wiper tourney? I was being watched hard by a ranger out of the north marina. We were in 2 small alumunum boats close to each other and one was camo. I think it was probably you. Also it was the smaller St. Parks boat. We were out from Pelican Beach.
[signature]
No, I don't think it was me. I believe that was the other Ranger. He was actually on the water that day. We generally trade weekends on the the water. It makes it kind of nice for the two of us. The next time you see me out on the water it will will be on our waverunner. If I see you I'll be sure and do a donut around your boat, maybe that would start a whirl pool and suck the fish into your boat. LOL
[signature]
Hell yeah!!![Wink][Wink] That is the only way to fish! I hope to see ya out there.
[signature]
Jeff, I just talked to my insurance agent at Allstate and he said they do not send out insurance cards for boats, I told him you were a real hard nosed Ranger and I fear my fishing days are over until they send me an insurance card. What can I do, oh what can I do?[unsure]
[signature]
Well, I guess then you won't be needing your boat and trailer anymore. Just bring it up to Willard and drop it off for me or I could just get it from you next time I see you with out proof of insurance. LOL

Is he at least going to send you a copy of the boat policy. If so just put that in the boat with your registration. As long as you can show proof that you have insurance then you would be fine.
[signature]
USH,
How does the new law apply to airboats? Since my boat has way more than 50HP but is technically neither an inboard nor outboard do I still need insurance? If I do I'll get it, but my airboat is kinda of a POS as far as airboats go. While I could run into someone, it would have to be somebody with another airboat since it only travels on mud or very little water. Thanks in advance for your reply.

IFG
[signature]
Having just worked at Antelope Island and the duck hunts every year for the past 8, I know your not going to like the answer. Before I came up to Willard, I was associated with the Airboat Association and have spoken to many of them about this. I do know this; it is going to be very hard to find insurance for your airboat but there is an insurance company back east that will insure it. The answer to your question is YES they also need to be insured. In utah, you are classified as a boat so just like all the other safety equipment ( lifejackets, nav. lights, fire exting. etc, ) you do need to meet the insurance requirements. Also, if you are not associated with the Airboat Association and are interested let me know and I can set you up with a great bunch of guys who know a whole heck of alot about them.

Jeff
[signature]
UTH,
I am a member and I can get insurence thought boat U.S. Same answer the AB Assc. gave me. See you at the banquet in the fall.

Swamp Rat
aka IFG
So do you know Pet, Larry, Cody. They are all a great bunch of guys.
[signature]
One more question please, then I'll leave you alone.

I registered my big boat on line this week and have not recieved my year sticker yet. Is my boat legal to use with the paperwork provided on the internet from DMV or do I have to wait for my sticker.
[signature]
You are okay to sue it. Just have the print out out of the online registration with you on the boat. I don't mind all the questions.
[signature]
One more. Where is the biggest Wiper in Willard? Just kidding. Thanks for all your help. See ya on the water.
[signature]