Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gluing PVC/ABS rod holder together
O yeah TubeDude I forgot on Monday at Utah Lake, when I was setting up my tube, twice I had to re-connect part of my rod holder back together. I have never glued it together because it always stayed nice and tight and didn't seem like I needed to, and I've never had a problem with it until now. But Monday, I had to fix it twice while setting up.

So I've decided to permanently glue it all together. I use ABS pipe, not PVC. Is there any special glue that I need to use for that? I have super glue, but I am wondering if getting wet would cause it to deteriorate. Do I just need to buy some of that pvc pipe glue?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If we can hook up again, remind me and I will bring some glue. It only takes a couple of seconds to set up, so you can be good to go in no time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am sure that the PVC cement will work on ABS, but I will check.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I do not glue some of my projects together permanently until I have had a chance to test them on the water first. But, as soon as you know you are happy with what you have, then glue it. That can prevent lost rods and embarrassment...to say the least.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks. I will probably just go buy a jar of ABS glue, even though this is the only thing I would need it for. I doubt it is very expensive.

I did a little research and found that you cannot use PVC glue for ABS, and vice-versa. I also found some other interesting things you can do with these pipes! lol

Did you know, there is a whole other PVC world out there, lol. A few things people do with PVC and ABS:

Potato gun
Grow kit for plants
flutes
Super Soaker water gun
cave for fish to hide in aquarium
birdhouses

Thanks again.
[signature]
Hey Catman,

I saw a guy a couple of years ago who made a PVC cover frame for his aluminum open top boa-t (spelling altered). Just stretched a tar-p (spelling altered) over it and he could fish comfortably in the rain. Never saw how he did in the wind but I figured it would probably double for a sail, which does not interest me.

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I am sure that if there is ever a shortage of bamboo for construction, in Asian countries, that they will find a way to make PVC cheaper and more effectively, as a substitute.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have made camp stools, various kinds of rod holders and a bunch of different contrivances for my tube...as past posts and pics will prove. Don't know what I would do without the stuff.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
If it is something that you might want to move some time, like my rod holders are movable, you might try drilling a hole through the coupling and pipe and pinning it in place with a copper wire or something. I have a metal lathe and will probably make stainless ones eventually. if you can't have a rod or bolt going accross the middle use a short sheet metal screw. I also will use o rings in between different size pipe so that it is adjustable. My rod holder for carp fishing has 4 adjustable legs that way so the pod is level on uneven ground.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I use pins and holes on some things too. There are lots of different ring pins available in outdoors stores that cater to packers, tenters and climbers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On some non-glued connections I just use a small screw that only goes into the second layer of PVC and does not constitute a hazard to flesh or air chamber.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3][cool]I know I've made my fair share of PVC potato guns. Fun as hell, but don't let the fuzz catch ya with them[angelic][/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
As far as superglue, most of the stuff isn't long term waterproof, but Zap-A-Gap is. But, I do know you need a special glue for ABS and a special glue for PVC but, have no idea what they are called[cool]
[signature]
[#505000]Back in may paintball days when I would make landmines from PVC/ABS at times I had a hard time finding all the parts in one or another type of material. I glued PVC to ABS with PVC glue all the time. [/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]For rod holders PVC glue should do just fine. Using the wrong glue I think really becomes an issue when you are using the pipes as god intended (plumbing).[/#505000]
[signature]
I used gorilla glue this time. That is what I had on hand at the time. We will see how it does. If it gives me any trouble I will go to the pvc glue.
[signature]