Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay Spiny Water Flea

Being new to this forum, I do not know if this subject has been approached before. I have noticed that Willard Bay is of some interest to many of the members here. I live very close to the Bay and frequent it often. I have been reading the reports of the spiny water flea in the Bay, which was brought in during a fish planting from back east. There is a small paragraph in this years fishing proclamation about the spiny water flea problem at Willard Bay and at Lake Powell.. I am wondering how many fisherman know about this problem and how to prevent it from spreading. I know that the DWR is concerned with the future of fishing at the Bay due to this problem.

I have many years experience fishing Utah, including 25 years at Flaming Gorge. I hope that I may be able to help provide some useful fishing information.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]If your name is any indication of your fishing knowledge, I'm all ears. Welcome aboard![/size][/font]
[signature]
I haven't fished Willard yet, but that will change when the conditions are better for the Wipers so I will be interested in learning about this little critter as well. I am glad do have you on board, I also have an affinity for the Macks. I spent three years in Rock Springs and was just getting good at chasing the big dogs on the Gorge when we had to move. Look forward to hearing what you have to say about my favorite reservior. Welcome aboard.
[signature]
[Sad]does everybody know what these are and what they look like,And welcome to the board.

Later Tony
[signature]
Here is a page with some basic info about the water flea and some of its effects on the Great Lakes.

[url "http://www.great-lakes.net/envt/flora-fauna/invasive/spinyflea.html"]http://www.great-lakes.net/envt/flora-fauna/invasive/spinyflea.html[/url]

As for its affect on Willard, who knows? I have found some info about the flea (both eggs and adults) attaching themselves to fishing tackle as well as being transported in bilges. Add Willard to your list of waters where you should do a through cleaning on all your equipment after you leave.
[signature]