Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What made the biggest impact on your fishing abilities?
Through out my fishing experiances, i've noticed my skills and abilities becomming more adapt and versitle. I'm sure anyone that has been fishing for any amount of time can contest to that same reasoning. Fisherman have a distinct learning curve.

I also know that along the way i've had a little help getting to the level i'm at today. Some of the tools I used to do so are books, magazines, and recording information about charters i'd taken.

Anytime I intend on targeting a specific species of fish, I buy a book about them and study thier habbits. I've always believed that what dictates the skill level of an angler is thier ability to effectively target a single species.

I also get alot of help from magazines such as "Marlin Mag" and "Saltwater Sportsman." Taking a guided fishing trip and paying close attention to what they do can be extremely beneficial as well. Though some of your charter captains don't reveal all thier secrets on a basic charter, any fisherman with basic skill can fill the voids and capatalize.

I also find alot of help on this website when I run into a problem or have a question. It amazing what 10000 anglers can figure out. [cool]

So what got you to the next level?
[signature]
Most of my ability actually came from the awesome amount of knowledge available right here on BigFishTackle. You guys helped get me started and I continue to read stuff that helps me improve. Yeah, a lot comes from magazines also but nothing beats the ingenuity and knowledge base available here. A lot of stuff covered here has never been printed in a magazine!
[signature]
If it wasn't for my Dad, Mrs. Pauls would be the only type of fish that I would have known about.

Now I ask Mrs Who???[cool]
[signature]
[Tongue][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]As a young boy I always wanted to catch a cute one. Like a mermaid. [Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=17368;][/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]That is what keeps me coming back.. Still trying!![/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I voted other,

what made me a better angler is....

I taisted a bluegill [Tongue]
[signature]
Grandpa got me into this, god bless him. But the best school was to just do it and learn what worked and didn't. Pay your dues and it will finally work, MOST TIMES.[Wink]
[signature]
I caught me a nice Mermaid about 21years ago. I still can't teach her to fish though. So I go by myself or with my son.[cool]
[signature]
LOL, I thought I was the only one that caught a "fishing Challenged" mermaid. As do you, my son and I, soon to be son's and I when he gets old enough, are the fishing team; unless I can find a way to put A/C and a shopping mall on the boat. [crazy]
[signature]
My mermaid has been to a few piers and beaches with me but has no desire to throw out a line or even reel in something that I caught.

She may be getting close though.[cool]
[signature]
Greatest influence on my fishing was rowing a wood river boat for my uncle on the Kankakee River, while he fly cast his big bugs in the gnarliest snags in search of giant pike.

Over the years while I fished with my uncle in his declining years, he was no longer able to cast the fly rod, but his enjoyment and love for fishing was unsurpassed...wish he was still here today...man, I'd be more than happy to row the boat for you Uncle Gus...miss you!
[signature]
My good buddy Cole really got me started on this obsession, and I learned a lot of what I know from him. I also have read many books on different types of fish and fishing.

Joe
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]I voted other because I have learned from all of the different things that you had in your poll. I have learned from all the books, magazines, TV, DVD's, and other people that I have fished with. I have also learned a ton from BFT, and I still learn new things everytime I go fishing.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I wrote this for the local paper and it ezplains it all:
[size 2]
Have fishermen evolved or are we still a barrel of monkeys floating around the ocean? Some may find it quite a stretch to compare a fisherman to a monkey and I say those few must never go fishing. A monkey will use a long stick in a termite hill to catch food. When he does this simple act, scientist say the monkey has learned how to use a tool. Then those same scientists go home on the weekend, bring long sticks to the water, and catch food. The difference is in just a minute or two the monkey gets his stick for free. The fisherman has to spend days looking at different rods. Then he will consult with other primates to get their opinion on what works best. Finally if all goes well and the spouse doesn’t know how much is being spent, the fisherman will spend a few hundred dollars to acquire his simple tool.
Once armed with an arsenal of gear large enough to sustain the fishing fleets of most small countries the fisherman is now calling himself an angler. The angler will go out into the cruel world not on foot but rather driving a $45K off road capable vehicle so he/she can keep it parked in the asphalt lot near the fishing spot. This is done so the other knuckle draggers will bow in praise and compliment the dominant Alfa on the optional chrome package. The real chest beaters will also acquire a $150K raft we call a boat so a claim can be made in an area of the ocean that is unknown to all. This will then solidify the position of superiority over the land locked clans of the less fortunate.
Most would think that the use of such complicated equipment like satellite tracking GPS, sonar, radar, large trucks and boats with up 1000 horsepower would constitute the monkeys evolution into a Neanderthal but this could be argued. Just about everyone has heard of the boat being launched before it got off the ramp or the one that launched the boat, trailer, and truck down the ramp. Then there’s the ones that have every gadget but don’t know how to use any of it so they just drive the boat to a spot that “looks good”. I’m not sure how you can tell one piece of wet water from another but I’ve been told about a lot of places that looked good. Heck one time I thought I found one but the other guys said it wasn’t the right spot. I decided to give it a try anyway and amazingly they were right, we didn’t catch a thing.
Acting in the manner of any other simple minded creature with a highly competitive nature, once a productive area is found instinctively it must be guarded. Like a dog to a tree, I’ve even seen anglers pee in the water, I think it’s done in an effort to let others know they have marked there spot. Then if they see someone else coming they begin to get nervous, start mumbling, and form a plan to ward off the offense. The first assault is usually very aggressive as some mumbling is done and the disapproving stare is pulled to the frontline. If that doesn’t work more mumbling ensues and instead of throwing feces, obscenities are hurled in your general direction, kind of like a Monty Python scene. Although I’ve never seen it done, I’ve heard some say if that ever happened to me “we’ll throw sinkers at them” or “ I’d drive around them in circles until they leave”.
I’m not sure if there is a theory called de-evolution but I’m going to argue the point. As novice anglers most are seeking the perceived wisdom of the more seasoned veterans. Often questions are asked and in some instances the newbie gets invited along on an outing. This first adventure is really just a way for the vets to stick there chest out, even if it doesn’t clear there stomach. Now they can revel in their superior angling skills and “show em’ how it’s done”. As the newbie acquires knowledge about the sport it seems he/she becomes dumber by osmosis and the de-evolution begins. By watching the actions of the people who think they know it all, man starts to mimic what he sees. As far back as anyone can remember this mimicry has been commonly called “monkey see monkey do”. It’s as if the phrase suggest the fate of the person performing such an act.
The second stage in walking backwards happens when the student is ready to go out solo. Now the teachers will do their best to be sure the novice doesn’t best their abilities because that would break the cycle. They will let the novice know about everything they do wrong but offer little advice on how to achieve success. Any information given is always incomplete so that the student will never become the teacher. This is when the third stage starts and the unknowing amateur still has the smarts to put the information pieces together. As the puzzle begins to take shape the angler find success and begins to share stories of the great captures. In an effort to beat him down to submission the elders tell of even greater fish in abundance. Now the fourth and final stage occurs where the monkey must get approval and he becomes consumed with not fishing but catching. His successes are no longer measured by a fun day on the water, he must do better than the others. Sadly the cycle comes full circle when he realizes it will take a lifetime to amass the stories of the elders and he must take comfort in being better than his friend who has just started “fishing” so he invites him along on an outing.
What makes a fisherman act that way, what makes him tick? The answer to that question was embedded in our DNA so many centuries ago when men provided sustenance for their clan. Successful hunters lived, became better, stronger, and eventually they evolved. Now all these years later we still huddle around and tell stories of the ones we got and the ones we almost had. Long gone is the cave drawing, replaced by digital images and the campfire replaced by wireless internet, but the stories are still told and the tales are still tall. Arguments still happen and some still feel they should beat their chest and act like a fool. It all just goes to prove you can take the monkeys out of the jungle but they’ll still throw their poop at you.
Questions or comments can be directed to Capt. Joe Verdino (941) 662-3474 or captjoeverdino@earthlink.net[/size]
[signature]
Hey CJV! That was the funniest thing I have read in quite a while. Thanks!

I picked N/A, because I do still suck at fishing. I've only been at it for twenty years though, so I still got a lot of catching up to do to get as good as you veterans. Anyway I learned everything I know from my old man who started taking me fishing when I was just a tike.
[signature]