Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CHATTER BAIT BASSING
[font "Arial"][/font]MY BUDDY DINO AND I DECIDED TO GO DOWN TO ONE OF THE SAN DIEGO LAKES WEDS, 2 OF HIS FRIENDS NEVER SHOWED, TO BAD FOR THEM. I PICKED UP A PUMPKIN 1/4 OZ CHATTER BAIT A FEW DAYS AGO AND FIGURED THIS WOULD BE A GOOD PLACE TO TRY IT OUT. GLAD I DID FROM 6AM TO 9AM I HAD 17 ALL ON THE CHATTER BAIT LARGEST WAS 3# AND FARMED 8 OTHERS THAT JUMPED AND SPIT THE BAIT. THIS BAIT MUST HAVE REALLY PISSED THEM OFF BECAUSE THEY WHERE HITTING IT SO HARD THEY WOULD OCCATIONALLY PULLING MY HAND OFF THE CRANK HANDLE. THIS BITE DIED AROUND 9AM SO WE LOADED THE TUBES BACK ON THE BOAT AND MOVED TO ANOTHER PART OF THE LAKE AND THREW PLASTICS (IKAS, DROP SHOT, AND SHAKING) THE REST OF THE DAY. IT GOT TO HOT AND WINDY SO WE GOT OFF THE WATER AROUND 3PM. ALL IN ALL A VERY GOOD DAY. RESULTS:
DINO: 13 LMB / ALL CAUGHT SHAKING, DROP SHOT AND SMALL SWIM BAIT / LARGEST 3# ATFISHING: 30 LMB AND 1 BLUEGILL / 17 CAUGHT ON CHATTER BAIT THE REST DROP SHOT AND FAT IKAS HERE'S THE PICS: HEADING OUT [Image: 100_0965.jpg] MY 1ST CHATTER BAIT FISH [Image: 100_0966.jpg] DON'T KNOW WHY IT'S BLEEDING, IT WAS LIP HOOKED [Image: 100_0968.jpg] [Image: 100_0969.jpg] DINOS NEW TO TUBING....THIS IS HIS 1ST TUBE BASS [Image: 100_0970.jpg] [Image: 100_0972.jpg] SELF PORTRAIT [Image: 100_0973.jpg] [Image: 100_0974.jpg] LAST FISH OF THE DAY [Image: 100_0981.jpg] ATFISHING
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Great report and great pics. Looks like you use the boat as a "tube ferry" too. Good concept.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Noisy topwaters have long been popular for surface reaction bites. I started with Hula Poppers and Jitterbugs many years ago. Then came the propeller baits and buzzbaits. They can all be deadly. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the wildest was the "Crazy Crawler". It has rotating paddles on each side that make a real fuss. They work great on northern pike too, and are really good for tubing small ponds at night...if your heart can take the sudden loud attacks on those noisy lures.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]That is a chunky bluegill. I once caught two at a time, about that size, on a "Mudbug" being fished for bass on a small private lake in the foothills east of Sacrament. Thought I had a 10 pound bass.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice report and pics.

Looks like I'm gonna have to try this Chatterbait. Everyone I have heard from says its not the be all end all of lures but it does catch fish...seems like a good addition to the tackle box...

Bguy64
[signature]
Great report AT! Makes one want to skip out on work today and head out fishing.

I am taking two, possibly three, newbies out on Sunday for Father's day. Hope to post a report early next week. Until then, I'll have to try and make it through the work week by day dreaming over the great pictures all of you post.
[signature]
Great report AT. You really put the hurt on those bass. Wish I was there.

I especially liked the self portrait. You're the master of that shot.

Nice report. Cooperative fish. Good lake. Great companionship. Who could ask for more?

Not familiar with the Chatterbait. I'll look it up on the web as soon as I hit "Post Reply" on this message.

zonker
[signature]
OK AT,

What's the scoop on this Chatterbait? I googled it and found that the website of the manufacturer is down, several companies said they can only back order this lure, and the lures are selling for $20 each on E-bay? You caught 30 bass on the thing. What have I been missing?

[Image: chart_lg.jpg]

zonker
[signature]
HEY Z HERE WE GO:
THE CHATTER BAIT IT'S PART JIG, PART SPINNER BAIT, PART SWIM BAIT AND I GUESS YOU CAN SAY PART BUZZ BAIT ALTHOUGH IT IS A SUB SURFACE LURE.
BASICALLY IT'S A JIG HEAD (1/4, 3/8, 1/2 OZ) WITH A RUBBER SKIRT, TWIN TAIL TRAILER AND THE KEY ELEMENT.....A SMALL METAL PLATE ATTACHED IN FRONT. THE METAL PLATE MAKES IT VIBRATE AND DISPLACE ALOT OF WATER, YOU CAN FEEL THE VIBRATIONS ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE REEL. YOU CAN BURN IT IN OR SLOW ROLL IT, SWIM IT LIKE A JERK BAIT OR HOP IT CLOSE TO THE BOTTOM. MOST IF NOT ALL THE HITS WHERE REACTION STRIKES OF WHICH SOME WHERE REAL VIOLENT. IT'S NOT THE END ALL CATCH ALL BAIT BUT IT DOES MAKE A GOOD ADDITION TO THE TACKLE BOX.
MY NEXT OUTTING IN THE COMING WEEKS IS GOING TO BE IN THE SALT, FISHING FOR BAY BASS, CALICOS, AND HALIBUT, I'LL LET YOU GUYS KNOW HOW IT DOES.

ATFISHING
[signature]
Thanks for the info AT. Looks like I'll have to wait a bit to acquire one as I see they're behind on their production. When they become readily available again I'll see if I can pick up a couple.

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I just got through placing an order with Barlow Tackle. While wandering through their section on spinner blades and such, I found a tutorial on making your own Chatter baits. [url "http://www.barlowstackle.com/make-shakee-chatter-baits.html"]HERE'S A LINK[/url]. They also sell all the goodies you need to make them (naturally).[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Cool! I'll have to dig out my Barlow's catalog.

z~
[signature]