Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hebgen Lake
I will be at Hebgen on 6 Jul-15. I have heard some promising reports on Henry's and was wondering if there are any good reports on Hebgen? Thanks
[signature]
Hebgen Lake boasts good populations of both rainbow and brown trout. The trout found here are large and average around 14-16 inches, making Hebgen Lake a popular destination for experienced as well as novice anglers.

Hebgen Lake has quality hatches of Tricos in the late spring and early summer. During the Trico hatch, anglers are able to catch trout right from the shoreline because the Trico hatch in shallow bays. Successful fly-fishing during this season can only be done when the winds are clam and light. When fishing the Trico hatch, be prepared with light gear and long leaders. Caddisfly hatches occur later in the summer and happen regularly.

At 6500 feet in elevation the lake experiences a long snowy winter, with 2 to 3 feet of ice formed starting in December and melting by early May. Ice anglers typically concentrate near the dam and fish for rainbow trout with brightly colored jigs and spoons about 10 feet below the ice. Ice fishing tends to improve later in the winter as day length increases. The ice/snow interface can become quite slushy later in the winter requiring waterproof boots.
[signature]
The biggest brown trout I have ever caught was out of Hebgen. No monster but 24" and 6lbs. I have also caught many wonderful Rainbows out of that lake. I have always had most of my luck from the Narrows east toward Rainbow point.

My uncle use to live right on the lake.

I realy like fishing there, just don't get down that way much since my Uncle passed.

Good Fishing!
[signature]
Sportsman's Warehouse in Idaho Falls always has a fishing report posted for Hebgen...and it's always good. Hebgen is considered a very consistent fishery. If Henry's Lake is skunking you, then you just troll on up over the border and put your boat in at Hebgen to make up for it.
[signature]