Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
80+ lb Yellowtail? Oh yeah sure!
Just got back from New Zealand where we fished for big yella's. 4 Socal anglers, 2 Aussies and 1 Kiwi. We fished for 5 days living aboard a 56 ft custom made fishing machine skippered by one of NZ's most respected Capt's and had a ball.

Not only that, we fished like champions tagging and releasing over 100 big yellas during that time. The best we could get was 84 lb on 80 lb stand up gear (go Yutaka) and got blown away more times than I care to remember.

Best catch was by Bill with a 78 lb fish on 50 lb stand up..

Here are a few pics.

[image]http://www.demonjigs.com/images/yutakasmall.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.demonjigs.com/images/billsmall.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.demonjigs.com/images/chuck.jpg[/image]

Those kelp paddies will never seem the same off the Socal coast I suspect..

Are we going back again? You bet 19-23 Jan 04.

If you want in then contact me quick as 3 places (from 6) have already gone.
[signature]
[Smile]I'll answer the question now. Yes, scientists say these are the same YT we catch here. My theory is that our west coast is merely a breeding ground & they go to NZ to grow up! [cool]

I thought it was Chuck that got the 84 pounder?

Fishslayer
[signature]
you are corect on reporting the sientest assumption.

they are tracking them with sofisticated radio transmiters and pop up transmiters.

they are doing the same with the blue tail tuna on the amreicas east coast.
[signature]
Steve, just a note that Yutaka gave me a real nice article on the trip. It will be in the next issue of Fish Taco and passed out at the Hall show. My favorite pic is of the Aussie hunk in the best looking shorts(sorry Booyaa) I have ever seen. I am sure that you can't get them here in the USA>

By the way I am going to take you up on the beer offer at the show.

Shawn
[signature]
No worries Shawn and look forward to having a beer and a meal over at Hooter's maybe. I am sure Yutaka has done a great job with the article and as for those Demon fishing pants, well they are a one off.

Maybe I need to talk with Senior Management at Booya and see if they could develop them as a new line item for the US market. What your think Mike R?
[signature]
"[size 1]No worries Shawn and look forward to having a beer and a meal over at Hooter's maybe. "[/size]

A meal. OK. Sure... Whatever... [Wink]

Fishslayer
[signature]
Steve "Good Aye, No Worries Mate". Stoked you will be coming down to Long Beach, should be a kick ass show.

It is customary here in Southern California that the Out of Country Vendors pick up the bar tab after there first show. How does Wednesday night sound. Shawn are you in?

Good Aye!
[signature]
Mike-I don't mess with old customs.
[signature]
SOUNDS LIKE YOUR IN SHAWN!

CHECK TO YOU STEVE BADMAN...
[signature]
Wednesday night sounds good for me. Arriving 3 March on the big red (kanga)roo as usual and staying at the Travel Lodge across from the show. No worries on the beer tab but down this way the tab usually goes to the first one who stops drinking.

Might have to discuss these customs in a bit more detail I think.

Might also wear my corporate Demon Fishing pants to the pub just for the occasion. Fishslayer your more than welcome.
[signature]
Come one come all Fishslayer you in?

Yardhouse after the show?
[signature]
[cool]Well... maybe a short one... soda, that is. I finished my lifetime quota of booze (AND several other people's! [Wink]) several years ago.

I also need to be back in SanDawg by 2100.

See ya there!

Fishslayer
[signature]