Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jan. 2001 Kauai
January Reports…<br><br>First Week…<br><br>01-01-01…Started the year out with a nasty system that came thru, canceled my first charter, good or Bad???? Not sure, good cause I didn’t “Take” the folks $$$$…bad cause I didn’t take “Any” $$$ , lost em, they left or never called back…<br><br>01-03…Had a nice older couple from England, did a ¾ day, after the story from the day before where the “Other” boat got 7 big Yellow fin, We went strait out to the Buoy, Great conditions, upon arrival, we watch a local boat pull a nice tuna over the side, easy 180#…COOL…we’re Here!!!…<br>We make 1 pass with the lures to see what is happening, 4 boats there, 1 just landed a nice 1, 1 guy in a local boat is trying to make bait, `he is trying TOO hard, the bait is messing with him…<br> Another local boat, one of Kauai’s Best fishkillers, Just got Bit…Looks like a nice one, the guy starts pulling by hand…we pull in the lures & get on top of the bait, the other boat that just made a Kill is dropping bait & gits bit imediatly…we can hear his Senator 16/0 Screaming…<br>I get <b>the BUZZzZZ…</b>}>…We get a bait on the first drop, cool, we get in front of the buoy & drop the bait down, marked the fish at 40 fathoms, (240ft.) AHHhh…<br>So here we are, motor off, drifting on the FAD in 6000 ft. of water…, Flat water, one boat washing BLOOD & getting back in front of the buoy, two boats pulling BIG Fish right next to us & the poor guy beating his head against his gunnels trying to get a bait, <br><br>We have a Beautiful scad down….I’m noticing on the scope that the bait is spreading out & getting back away from the buoy…we make more bait while waiting for our bite…<br><br>The fishkiller pulls his fish over…looks 150ish…20 minutes on the hand pull, he comes back by us & drops a bait with a big Smile, it was his third one since dark…the other boat is still working their fish, looks to be giving them a hard time…<br>We’re still not bit as we get down current of the buoy so we pull the bait & get back up current & drop a fresh bait, didn’t mark the fish that pass…ah oh…<br><br>My customers are Enjoying this, the old guy seems to LOVE being here…I feel good watching him watch them…<br>The 1 boat still doesn’t have a bait yet??? Poor guy, I’ve been there…(ya CAN’T let them p!ss ya off…<br><br>So here we are…drifting with a nice swimmer down deep, 30 ft. from the Killer, we’re talking from boat to boat, no radio, (this IS ALL Top Secret, if ya read this much…we’ll have ta kill ya), turns out, the guy from the day before was at the Other buoy 3 miles away, I can see a mess of boats there, No one knows This one was holding, the Killer was out the whole night, he had 6 in the box from the night before from 60# to 200…& 3 from sunrise, 100 to 160#…& a BIG SMILE, their worth $3.75 @ lb….whole fish…the guy makes some Serious $$$$ with just himself & his 24ft. Radon.<br><br>The other boat lands their fish, looks 100ish…they come over by us & drop a bait…in the 30 minutes we we’re there, we watched them pull two over their side…<br><br>Hate to say it…but… we missed the bite by 10 minutes…Hmmm…<br>If we went strait to bait & didn’t troll that first pass to “Look”…maybe I shoulda started the trip earlier, maybe shudda kept trolling…<br>Heck!!! At least we saw some nice fish & had <b>the BUZZ</b>…}>…<br>We put the lures out & trolled around, went down to the other buoy & saw the crowds, what a mess, 15 boats ALL trying to get their lures or bait in front of the buoy…”How’d they ALL find Out????”…Turns out, Nothen happening…1 guy had 1 YFT about 60#, another missed a Stripe Marlin…we trolled the outskirts watching…<br><br>So there we we’re…trolling around with this empty feeling…not sure how to explain it…the customer is taking it good, He Saw how it went, Shoots…<b>missed the bite by 10 minutes!!!!</b><br><br>We trolled to the ledge, thinking about bending a rod for the gent from England…We get to the “Red Buoy” & pull in the lines so we can drop baits & Iron…We put 1 of the fresh scads down on a circle hook on the 30# short rod while the older gent starts dropping my last big iron…<br>“HANA `PAW!!! The bait gits bit… the wife gets to pull on it, looks like a fair fish…she does good with the short rod, 12 minutes from the dead boat, she gets her 18# Amberjack to the boat, we take pix & send it back down…& rig another…<br>The older gent starts with the iron again, he’s into it… working it hard…<br><b>Wham…ZZZzzzZZZZ</b> da spinner wen <b>BendO</b><br>He palms it HARD…<b>PAK!!!!</b>…<br>OH Well….I kin get more Iron…<br>We still have the bait down…ZZzzzZzz…Bite…we feed it a little, I give the rod to the older gent & tell him how to set with a circle hook & he does, “text Book”… missed it… he brings the bait up & we see it was a shark, Oh Well…Another bait goes down…<br>Meanwhile, the Humpers (whales) are playing around close by, we can hear them blowing air & rolling around…<br><br>Bite…<b>ZZzzzZZzzzzZZZZZZ</b> Nice One!!!! The old gent has a SMILE as big as they come…he works the fish good, the fish works him good…was a good fight for the old Fish Folk from the old country…Turned out to be nice ULUA 40 lb kind…HE saw Very Happy, in a weird way, I was too.<br>Woulda been happier with some Tuna in the box…;-)<br><br>We go tonight…I’m Excited!!!!!<br><br>Dan<br>Stand Up!!!<br>Nof fer now…<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><A HREF="http://www.fishingkauai.com" target="_new">http://www.fishingkauai.com</A><br><b><font color=blue>ALOHA & Good LUCK</b></font color=blue><br>
Capt Dan,<br>Whats fishing like in late August/early September?<br>We plan to be in Hanalea-Princeville for a week.<br>Last time we paddled up the river, but didn't have time for a charter.<br>This time, we will make time..<br>Just checking while we start to make plans..<br><br>