Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muskie in Big Barbie/Tippy
I live in Goshen, IN and the folks have a cabin on Little Barbie over near Warsaw.. Last year I lost a few bass (and lures) to muskie hitting while I'm reeling in.. So I figure this year I should just fish for Muskie and skip the bass all together..

Went over to Lunkers and picked up a new rod/reel and some lures, and of course a new box to put it all in (can't go mixing equipment now can we?).. Anyway, I'm hoping to hit the lakes over the holiday but have absolutly no idea how to fish muskie other than to catch a little bass and then wait to loose it..

Any suggestions??
[signature]
bigger the fish bigger the bait is rule of pike bitten thumb.

big plugs, big pencils, big cranks and troll or pull them in a little faster than you would if you were fishing for bass.

if the musky are hitting on bass, I would look for a pencil around the same lenth and color of the bass being hit upon.

Good luck this weekend, dont be suprized if you come home with a big northern pike. they do the same thing up here in south east michigan...
[signature]
Believe it or not, there's a bunch of lure manufacturers here in Indiana that specialize in musky baits...ever since the boom on Webster Lake.

It's generally accepted practice to fish for musky with big baits, but it's not set in stone...my two biggest muskys (not really that big) came while fishing for other species - one 38" tiger musky caught in Wolf Lake in Hammond on a 1.5" BPS tender tube using 4lb. test line while fishing for crappies; and one 12 pounder on Wolf Lake, while fishing a 1/8 oz. jig for walleyes in the weeds.

A lot of the fishermen on Wolf Lake were complaining about muskys grabbing their walleyes when they were bringing them in...if the muskys are grabbing your bass, then get a large bait that resembles the bass...just a thought.

My sponsor makes a good number of baits that are perfect for both musky and bass fishing...but I'm not sure if I can give you that information here...I'll have to check the forum rules first.
[signature]