Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
150 feet rule (Speed and Proximity)
Just to let you all know I spoke to my boss about placing some signs to let boaters know what a 150 feet looks like at Willard Bay. He thought it was a great idea so it is in the works. Also, to give you all an idea of what a 150 feet looks like, if you launch from the North Marina ramp a 150 feet is from the large 3 post sign(just before the dock, I believe the sign states the rules, the post farthest from dock) to the end of the dock is 150 feet. I would of had it marked off at the south marina but a 17 foot Galstron capsized last night so I never made it. I hope this helps a little.

Jeff
[signature]
USH,
All great ideas people have come up with and I am just glad to see you take action and implement them, I think speaking for all, we appreciate your help. As for the capsize last night I hope that every one is alright. Having been in a capsized boat I know how scary and traumatic that can be...................
[signature]
They were all okay. They got extremely lucky that a boat was fairly close and seen the whole thing. They called for help and then went and plucked the 3 occupants out of the water. Its nice to see that people are so nice and jump right in to help. I will say this though, it got quite windy and wavey on Willard last night.

Jeff
[signature]
I was there with Windknot and another freind in a blue 18' lund boat. We saw that capsized boat too! The officers had allready gotten to it by the time we trolled by. What a rough night on the water though. Some of those swells had to be pushing three feet high. Not a place for small fishing boats to say the least. I imagine the people in that boat lost most of their belongings huh? We saw a couple things floating around but we didn't pick anything up. Fishing was tough for us. We picked up one small catfish on a crankbait.
[signature]
Here is once again another example why this law is so important!

(from the KSL website: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=329313 )

Missing Jet Skiers Found Safe June 27th, 2006 @ 7:19am
(KSL News) Two jet skiers who were missing at Utah Lake have been found.
A 23-year-old woman and a 29-year-old man from American Fork rented a jet ski and went out on the lake yesterday afternoon.
When they missed an appointment last night, their families got worried and called police. Authorities found their car but no sign of the jetskiers.
About 40 people searched through the night. The two were found early this morning.
They actually swam for two miles, and got out of the lake themselves, then walked about a half mile to a road.
Sgt. Tom Hodgson, Utah County Sheriff's Office: "Met a passerby and a deputy there, checked out medically and transported to the hospital."
Sgt. Tom Hodgson, Utah County Sheriff's Office: "Apparently a boat came close to it, swamped it, and it did sink. The people treaded water and then they swam to shore on the west side."
The pair suffered hypothermia, but no major injuries. Deputies say life jackets may have saved their lives.

I have to wonder if it wasn't those 2 who sunk their jetski that were the ones messing around. Either way, someone broke the law, and 2 people nearly died because of it.
[signature]
Thanks for keeping us safe. The next step is to do what the road police do....take radar, look for unsafe driving, sobriety tests, write tickets, etc. Recommend that later this summer after the signs have been up for a while, put one of your people in an unmarked boat, troll around and then write tickets for those that come within 150 feet, or other infractions.
[signature]
Yeah, they lost quite a bit of gear. With the winds and waves it made it real hard to manuever around it in the patrol boat. Would have flipped it out on the lake and towed it in if the weather would of been better. They lost most of there stuff when I towed it into the marina upside down. Made for quite the scene. The best outcome of it was that no one was injured or even worse.

Jeff
[signature]
You may just see more of that this weekend. Maybe even someone on a PWC. Blend in better that way. We use range finders for the speed and proximity violation. They work great especially if we have to go to court. That way its just not considered our judgement as to a 150 feet.

Jeff
[signature]
Thanks, that is exactly the answer I was looking for...

Hope you catch a bunch this weekend..
[signature]
Nice work USH. Thanks for all of your help.
[signature]