Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small Pan-fish lakes
Where's a smaller lake in Wisconsin that's good for pan-fish where you don't have to fight the jet skis and tubers??? Went to Lake Nokomis this year and fishing was OK for Northern but otherwise we didn't do so good. Any ideas???
[signature]
Grammief99, First of all WELCOME to the BFT.

Depending where you are at and how far you want to go, to go fishing. There are plenty of good pan fishing lakes in the state where you will not be bothered by jet skis or tubers. A lot of them have restrictions on when the speed demons can do there thing.

I'm sure if you let us know where you want to go, we can come up with the info for you.
[signature]
We are pretty open as to where... we are from central Illinois. We had thought in the Tomahawk or Rhinelander area... or in the Hayward or Eau Claire area but we really are pretty open. We had been going to Northern Minnesota but it was 13 hours. [Smile]

Thanks! Sue
[signature]
Sue, I do not know much about the Tomahawk pond. But if you go to mapequest.com and click on Wisconsin That map will give you right down to the street. It is the best sight I have found. You will be able to find the locals on or in the spot and ask how the fishing is. Also maybe there is some one looking on here that live in the spots where you would like to go, will let you know how things are.

I have been hearing of a Bay called " MaTraver or McTraver Bay" over there. Some of the fisher persons from here say the pan fish (gills) are large hand size.
[signature]
Thanks! Like I say... we are open to where we go so if ya know of any small pan fish lakes [#ff0000]anywhere[/#ff0000] in Wisconsin... let me know. Just don't like the "touristy" lakes with lots of Jet Ski and rec. boat traffic.[Smile]
[signature]
I am working on some maps and trying to find out about the lakes and ponds on your side of the boarder. If I could here from some of the fisher persons over on the West side of the state here in Wisconsin, we might be able to get you some good fishing before the summer is over. we will get it to you one way or another.
[signature]
Found a web sight you can go to it is www.topozone.com /viewmaps.asp

It has all you want to look for in each county.
[signature]
No matter what state you're in, I find the smaller ponds are better for panfish rather than the larger lakes and rivers. When I say smaller ponds, I mean golf course ponds, farm ponds, and small business ponds. There is a small pond that is part of our YMCA that is great fishing for bream, bass, and white crappie.

Ofcourse, keep in mind it is infact a small pond. You may want to practice catch and release.

Generally speaking, on a golf course, they don't mind a bit if you fish the ponds as long as you stay off the greens and the fairways. Not only will you catch alot of fish out of these lightly fished area's, it's also a nice way to catch some fresh air and get some exercise while doing so.

Farm ponds are also great places to fish. The first step is locating a farm with a pond. Everytime i've asked the owner if I could fish his pond, i've never been turned down. Be nice, respect his/her property and wishes, and you'll be in good shape.

You may also want to check with your local Department of Natural Resources for more information. They have loads of info on ponds, lakes, and rivers; and it's all free. [cool]
[signature]
Welcome to the BFT site, I'm originally from the Eau Claire area and even though I currently live in Utah I get back home once in awhile to do some fishing. My dad has a cabin on a small lake near Drumond that you won't see many skiers on. There are alot of small lakes in that area that hold Panfish, bass and northerns. Most of them you will need a small boat or float tube to fish as they are pretty boggy or brushey around the edges. Hope this helps. [cool]
[signature]
Grammie, Have you all gotten over here to do some fishing yet? If so please let us know how you all did.
[signature]