Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FLaming Gorge 6/28 - 6/29
Wasn't going to bother to post, but ----------------- decided not to let my hurt feelings [unsure] get in the way and to grow up a little. I'm talking about the perceived lack of interest in smallie fishing there. Then I decided that maybe it's my posting. Whatever ----------- Hope a few of you guys will enjoy.
Me and my buddy along with our Goldens arrived about noon, at the Confluence and set up our stuff, me and my tent trailer, and him and a frame with a plastic cover for shade with a sleeping cot, he tied it to his truck. Anyway, we each headed off with our tubes to do some fishing. Typical of the Gorge the winds picked up with some verga clouds and some pretty high winds. Needless to say, his structure was demolished. This is the third attempt at trying to set up something. He thought he had a structure to withstand the winds but obviously not. I feel bad for him. He keeps trying and it keeps happening. You'd think us old guys would learn, huh. [pirate] Well he hiked back, recovered his stuff and went back to fishing. We ended up catching about 15-20 smallies ea. and returned to camp. Too tired to cook our customary fish dinner so we had Kentucky, mac. salad and rice and went to bed. He stayed in the tent trailer with us, stubborn but he gave in. Saw some antelope and a sage grouse on the way in along with the standard waterfowl. Heard the coyotes singing at night as usual.
Got up the next am about 6:30 took our craps and each headed out separate ways again. did about the same, and returned to camp. Saw mu usual Osprey fishing and getting it's meal which is always neat. Wooooosh, splash. [sly] On the way back tom camp, say a mommy and about 10 chicks, Sage Grouse. and Sparky had a ball chasing. The chicks were able to fly but probably still had minimal scent which is typical of survival at this time. I was really happy to see em considering the problems they are having.
So there it is -------------- Nothing big, most about 10-12 in. with about a dozen between us from 13-15 in. I caught all mine with a Mainiac Reaper, Watermellon, cut/split the tail. weed less and split shot and my buddy caught all his on a green 3 in. Pulse worm on a 1/16 oz lead head jig. What was interesting was the bigger fish still had eggs at various stages of development????? Where are we in the Spawn????? This is up North, where it is supposed to be earlier???? I was convince that the Spawn was over from week ago report.[shocked]
Leaky
Hey Leaky , I thought you were done growing up . LOL Thanks for the report . I may not responded to most reports here but I try to read them all and enjoy most of them too . Sometimes I'm just to lazy to type . Been working on my boat all day so I need a fishing story to read . Keep up the good work .
[signature]
Sounds like you guys had quite the experience! I hate the w--- as do most every other fisherman, and i know how it can ruin a beautiful trip. Thanks for the report.[cool]
[signature]
Hey Fred, did you have to sell some vital organs to fund the last couple of gorge trips?[Tongue] Sure sounds like a fun time. There are plenty of smallies up there to go around. I'd love to get up there...it's just hard hitching a ride with all my gear!

Cool that Sparky could get a little warmin' up on some sage grouse. Nice to see at least one pair had a good hatch.
[signature]
I'll be the first to admit that a lot of "oldies" can still use some growing up. [shocked] In fact, I swear, we regress!!!!!! One thing I hope I never lose, the ability to accept constructive criticism. By the way, the tube is cheaper and a lot of fun, gets you right down of the water close and familiar like.
Leaky
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like a fun trip, in spite of Mama Nature fanning you a little. Us tubers just don't handle the wind too well. And, when you are trying to finesse fish with light gear, the wind just about ruins that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That area is always good for a nature show. There are so many different kinds of wildlife available to see, if you know where and how to look, and if you really care. Too bad so many folks just take it all for granted. For me, the rest of "the show" is just as good as the fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Quit being so sensitive, you old fa**. We all love ya and enjoy your posts. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the report. The smallies up there are still fun although the average is pretty small. [Smile]
[signature]
Thanks for the report, Leaky-

I've noticed the same thing about smallmouth and eggs. I've never actually seen any of them on beds so I'm not sure when they spawn there but I'm beginning to think now that it may be mid-late June on average. What was the surface temp up there?
[signature]
Don't know, best guess in the mid sixties or more. By the way, my home town is Denver. My boy has 35 acres outside of Guffey.
Leaky
Nice to hear from you Leaky.

I love that smallmouth fishing up there. Especially in the Wyoming end. I've never fished the confluence area but do well from the Buckboard area south to Lucerne. Bigger fish on average than in utah end, especially if you fish a little deeper (below 15').
[signature]
from what I have seen the smallie's are on the bed's from the end of may to the middle of june when I first seen them this yr the temp was around 54-58 but I was only finding male's and thay seem to be a lot smaller than the big old hen's.Fish
[signature]
Heh Don-

Surface temp at the Gorge was a couple tenths under 70 degrees. I was there 06/29 & 30.

late
[signature]