Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Colorado
Hi all,
As you probably agree Colorado has some of the best fishing anywhere. Your likely to catch 1 of 21 species from wiper, catfish, northern pike, and of course trout. Speaking of trout, does anyone know the state record for brook trout (size, weight and year)? Any guesses? I'll get back with the answer and how and where we might be able to break this record. Hint --- There's no record of the size (length) because they didn't keep track of that back then. Wanted to clear up that there is over 80 species of fish (warm and cold water) in Colorado, 21 are most common.
[signature]
Hey,
Aarron is absolutely right! Can you believe a record from 1947 is still the record? If you have a desire to break records the northwest part of Colorado is probably the best place to break this one. Why? Well, brook trout really thrive in cold, high rivers and streams. To catch one of these use a small lure, bait or fly.

Good fishing to all!
[signature]
Here's another one. So the record (for brook trout) is 7lbs. 10oz. To get a possible size of that, what is the average weight of a brookie if it's 25 in. long in Colorado? Stay tuned!
[signature]
Here's the answer. If the brook trout is 25 inches long, the average weight is 4 lbs.
[signature]
Hey Vinny-

Where did you find that info?
[signature]
Ok. I confess, I'm not a know-it-all [crazy] ha ha. Just like learning things about fishing and sharing too. I get most of my information from the Colorado Division of Wildlife and various publications.
[signature]
According to "sources", where would be the best place to catch Kokannee Salmon? Hint - there are 4.
Vinny
[signature]
Eleven Mile, Blue Mesa, McPhee, Vallecito.

source: Kokanee A Complete Fishing Guide by Dave Biser, 1998
[signature]
You da-man! Exactly right and welcome to BFT, were glad your here. Keep checking back for more about Colorado fishing and lakes.
[signature]
You guys are pretty good. I'm going to have to start digging deeper for harder facts. Which fish holds the state record for length and which holds it for weight? Maybe you know where they were caught?
[signature]