Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HAPPY 4TH GORGE KOKES REPORT
DECIDED TO HIT THE LAKE AT THE LAST MINUTE AND WE ARRIVED LATE SUNDAY NIGHT....AFTER A QUICK PREP TO THE BOAT AND A FEW HOUR'S REST WE HEADED NORTH OUT OF LUCERNE, WITH BUCKBOARD/BREEZE HILL BEING OUR DESTINATION. IT IS A BEAUTIFUL SCENE DRIVING UP LAKE AT 4:30 IN THE MOURNING AND WATCHING GOD'S CREATION COME ALIVE..( I DOUBT I WILL EVER TIRE OF WATCHING THAT).
ARRIVED AT MY SPOT AT 5:10 AM AND PUT OUT THE FIRST OF FOUR LINES THAT WERE TO BE FISHED.... RAN DEPTH'S OF 15-32 FEET FIRST THING IN THE MOURNING...AND BEFORE I COULD GET THE SECOND LINE LAYED WE HAD OUR FIRST HOOK-UP AT 5:14AM!!A AWESOME KOKE THAT WAS IN THE HIGH 3 POUND CLASS... THE DAY FOR US FOLLOWED FAIRLY FAST AND FURIOUS FOR THE FIRST 2 HOUR'S AND THEN DIED AS FAST AS IT STARTED....BUT THE DAMAGE WAS DONE WE HAD A 5.3 POUND 24 AND 1/2 INCH
KOKE IN THE BOAT WITH A 4.0, 3.9, 3.7, 3.7 AND A 2.4(HE WAS INJURED, HAD TO KEEP HIM). SO TO SAY THE LEAST IT WAS WORTH THE RUN UP LAKE!!! WE HAD A DOCK BBQ THAT NIGHT AND ALL ENJOYED THE DAY'S CATCH....GREAT WITH A WASABI/TERYAKI MARINADE!!!!
DAY 2 WAS TOUGHER THEN DAY 1 AS I HAD TO WORK HARDER TO FIND MY FISH BUT WHEN I FINALLY DID IT WAS FAST AS WE LANDED 9 KOKES IN THE SPAN OF 25 MINUTES( IT WAS A LATE BITE 8:20 AM) SOMETIMES YOU JUST HAVE TO BE PATIENT AND THEY WILL TURN ON LUCKILY I WAS JUST PATIENT ENOUGH!! THE DAY'S CATCH INCLUDED A 4.4 POUNDER AND A BUNCH IN THE MID-UPPER THREE'S...
THE HOT BAIT'S WERE 2 OF MY NEW "SOCKEYESLAYER" WIDE EYED BUG'S,(THEY WILL BE AVAILABLE THIS FALL) AND TWO OF MY NEW CUSTOM MADE MINI SQUID'S (THEY ARE ONLY A INCH AND A HALF LONG...ALSO AVAILABLE THIS FALL!!) IN HOT PINK RUNNING 1OO FEET BEHIND THE BOAT AND AT 1.5-1.9 MPH.
I AM THINKING WE NEED TO HAVE A BFTER--FEST UP AT THE LAKE WHAT DO YOU GUY'S THINK??? THAT WAY IF ANYONE WANT'S TO LEARN THE LAKE FROM ALOT OF US WHO FISH THERE THEY COULD FIRST HAND....I KNOW OF A LARGE GROUP OF US ON THIS BOARD WHO I THINK COULD HELP OTHER'S GREATLY...JUST AN IDEA!!
HAPPY FORTH OF JULY TO ALL AND THANK YOU TO ALL VETERANS AND MILITARY PERSONAL FOR ALL YOU DO!!!(EXCEPT YOU SCOTT!!!!!!!)
TIGHT LINES GUY'S
SOCKEYESLAYER/JARED JOHNSON

[signature]
Great report. So you weren't fishing on the downriggers? Are the fish fairly shallow? I will be up there this weekend, and I am just looking for any help I can get! [Tongue] I sent you a PM. Thanks Jared.
[signature]
Slayer, good to hear that you made it up to the Gorge. As I mentioned to you over the phone we fished the Gorge last Thurday, Friday and Saturday. Very tough fishing! The fish had lock jaw. We found them in Squaw Hallow, Brenigars Ranch and other places, but we could not get them to bite. We averaged only 3 kokes per day but they we big, nice kokes. We caught alot of rainbows and hardly any medium lakers. Everyone on the lake said it was a tough couple of days. Hot weather and bad moon phase all teamed up against us. We tried everything and every color. We were there at 5:00am every morning and we fished from 1.7 mph to 2.0 mph. Nothing. It was so frustrating to see the fish on the finder and not get any hookups. I tried multiple sling blades, pink squid tied close, lures, scents and all the tricks that usually work. We just hit the lake on some bad days. I would really like to get up there again. If you need a partner, call me.
[signature]
I will be at the Gorge from July 11th to the 25th. Will you be there on any of those dates?
I would love to have you show me how it is done.
I attended your seminar at Sportsman's and picked up a lot of your tackle. I have never fished the Gorge from a boat before so I could use all the help that I can get.
I won't have access to the net while I'm there so I would need to know in advance if you will be there.
Thanks for the offer and I hope that othere from BFT will be there at that time. It would be great to get several of us together up there, Dale.
[signature]
Sounds like a great trip Jared. I think a get together would be a lot of fun. I would be bugging Rich or Scott to drag their arses up there and let me play in thier boats! Thanks for the report.
[signature]
I WIL BE THERE FROM THE 13TH TO THE 16TH AND I AM ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE GAS DOCK SLIP 12 AND I WOULD BE HAPPY TO MEET UP WITH YOU AND GIVE YOU ANY HELP THAT I CAN!!
LOOK FOR ME AND WE WILL SEE WHAT WE CAN DO
JARED JOHNSON/SOCKEYESLAYER
[signature]
Daffy and I were on the big water today.We boated 12 kokes ,2 macks and one verrry small rainbow. We keep three kokes and both of the macks.We started in the big bend area,using orange cripplelures and fire tiger cyclops.No sooner had we sit down to enjoy our coffee and Daffy's pole was bouncing and fish on!!I contuined to use the cyclops with with no results.Switched to a pick scropion(made by shasta tackle,as I had never seem this set -up before yesterday).I caught a small koke and a three lb mack pup.Daffy had switched to a pink something or other( I cant remember)and he really started to nail the fish.We trolled across the lake to breeze hill,were we both caught fish ,switching out the lures from oranges to pinks to greens.

We contuined to troll on the east side through brezze hill, where we managed a double,both of us using glow in the dark lures ,with pinks ,whites ,and a little red mixed in for good measure.

Most of the fish came from 25-60 deep and running our lures about 40-60 ft behind the downrigger weights.Speed varied from 1.8 to 2.3.Water temps were close to 65degs.We finally bagged it about 2pm got a chance to talk to Buck3333 .He said they had just got to anvil and was hungry to catch some fish.We passed on as much info as we could over the VHF and wished them luck.

I must say Daffy is truley one great fishing buddy,as he regaled me with story after story in between catching fish.As he is a fisherman's fisherman.Thanks again for a great day on the water Daffy,I enjoyed myself time and time again with your great story telling.
[signature]
Thanks for your reports .One of these day , I want to go to the Gorge and fish . But I bet it will spoil me . Sounds like some nice kokes . I hope to get a 20"+ out of Strawberry this year . I only boat 10 kokes sunday at Strawberry with sling blades with 17" as the biggest so far . I just need to get in the koke groove .
[signature]
Great report Jared! I will be heading up this weekend through the 13th. We had great success at the Villa Derby, not big enough to win though. I would very much be in favor of a get together at Lucerne for some fun and education. I'm pretty flexible most weekends. By the way did you do any fishing in the evenings, I imagine the fish would be deeper later in the day.
[signature]
I don't need the thanks, I have the addoration of millions of women around the world. That's good enough for me. I was up Monday but didn't see you, we ran up from down south but only fished the magic triangle, didn't get up there until 05:30. Didn't do great but not bad either. Only one big one around 4#s, the rest were 2-3.

IFG
Really bummed out . Went to Sportsmans Whse tonight and the sling blades were sold out . I guess I better quit losing gear .
[signature]