Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your preference?
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Do you make your own leaders or buy them premade? I prefer the latter. Don't like getting all that fine vegetables caught up on the knots. Besides I don't have the patience any more. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I do use the home made cause I can get any taper I want. I will use storebought knotless however when I am using a break away indicator, but still have at least one knot (tippet to leader) or just use straight 4 or 6lb florocarbon.
By the way, Dryrod, it's back up to the Lodge for me next Tue and Wed.
Hate the drive, but love the scenery and money[Wink]
[signature]
I don't use that many leaders. appears to be a pain in the butt to me. I buy what I need. I always add tippet to the end of the leader bought leader. it is that part that generally gets broken and abraded and twisted and knotted and all that stuff.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Likewise I always add a length of tippet to my leader. Better to use up my tippet when changing flys than my leader.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Dryrod,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I pretty much always use my home made leaders. I still have a bunch of commercially made leaders(they are many years old now). I don't mind the salad hanging on my knots, but I try to clean it off as I can. When the greenery is on my flies, that is a different situation.[/size][/black]
[signature]
I make my own. I don't think it makes that much difference for dry fly fishing but I still make dry fly leaders. But I think it makes a big difference in nymphing leaders. The problem with knotless leaders is that I use the yarn type strike indicators and they slide down the leader too easily. I start with about 6 feet of very heavy leader (20 to 30 lb test) then a couple of feet of 8 lb test then tippit. The heavy leader that does not taper holds the strike indicator in place where ever I place it but I can still slide it up and down according to the depth and speed of the water to get my nymphing rig to just bounce on the bottom.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Good idea campfire. Nymphing doesn't require the delicate touch that dries do. On rivers however, I use the same leader for both (although you have a very good point-maybe I will make some nymph leaders with less taper)[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]My normal leader for a 9 ft. 5X is:[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]6" - 35 lb - 0.017[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]14" - 26 lb - 0.015[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]10" - 20 lb - 0.013[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]10" - 15 lb - 0.011[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]8" - 13.1 lb - 0.010[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]6" - 11.1 lb - 0.009[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]6" - 6.2 lb - 0.007[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]24" - 4.9 lb - 0.006[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]this is Frog Hair weight chart.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]As you can see, heck of a taper, but not sure it is that important in nymphing. Will try yours.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Dry fly is my furled with 3 - 5 ft tippet, no brainer on that one.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][/black][/font]
[signature]
me as well.. i wanted to make it on my own
[signature]
How do your furled leaders hold up?

I have made a few, but they seem to fray very quickly when in use.
[signature]
Really? I have never had one fray. Maybe, knock on wood[Wink]
I use Uni thread 6 and I like the Kathy Scott's 14, 10, 6. I also play with flouresent thread off the first peg, then switch to Cahill for a strike indicator thing.
I have never had on fray however. Loop to Loop off the fly line then I put an Surgeon's Loop in about 3 to 4 feet of flourocarbon tippet.
[signature]