Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fishfinder
I am looking at getting a fishfinder and lookin at 2 models they are both humminbird the models are either 565 or the 535 does anybody have any experience with them? what attracts me to them is the real time to use while jigging... when getting a fishfinder do i need to purchase a battery or can i just use my starting battery? i am thinking of getting another battery so then i am not stranded on the lake if i drain the starting bat. thanks for your help i look forward to replys on these models that i am lookin at.

p.s does anyone know where i can find some chub meat in utah county?
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey BrittHunter,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I use a second battery for my Humminbird to keep it isolated from my starting battery and engine starter motor(I'm not sure if it is necessary, but it makes me feel better to know that I have plenty of power for the motor) . One of those small 12v7ah SLAs works out great. They are small, easy to charge and last all day(actually they can last several days) on one charge.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Chubs are easy to find and catch in most bodies of water around the state - just don't get them from Utah Lake. Otherwise, Sportsman's Warehouse carries them occasionally - maybe you could even give Cabella's a call.[/size][/black]
[signature]
I don't have any experience with either model, but I know a few on this board use them. As far as battery power, I highly doubt you would drain a large battery using a fish finder. The problem would be if you are using multiple 12V power draws, that would expidite the power drain. The little SLA's are great, so if you want to be safe, spend 20 bucks on one and use it instead.
[signature]
I dont know if the SLA'sthat they are talking about are motorcycle/fourwheeler batteries or not, but if they are you can get them at rocky mountain atv for $10
[signature]
The SLA's they are talking about are most likely used for alarm systems. I use one ice fishing. Fish finders do not drain the large batteries very fast you could go a month or so before having to charge the large batteries. I would not piss around with the small SLA batteries on your boat. One large battery works fine but if you have the room I would add a second large battery. I have two large ones on my boat.
[signature]
I'm with MGB on this one. I have two battery systems. One for starting the engine and one is the "house" battery. As well as isolating things like the fish finder, CD player, VHF radio from surges caused by starting the engine, you have an extra battery in case of emergencies. If you end up with a dead battery on the water it's pretty hard to walk to the nearest service station. Make sure they are both charged by your alternator.

I also have Humminbirds. Matrix 67 and 787c2. I really like the units and have had great service for any question I've had. I ask lots of questions. [cool]

Fishhound .... when are we going to get together so you can help me learn to interpret what I see? [crazy]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey JoyRide,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I sent you a PM[/size][/black].
[signature]
Hey Mike, I have a set up like Fishound is talking about with my FF running off the small battery I use for ice fishing. The reason I do this is not because of the drain on my main battery but for some reason I pick up a lot of interference when my main motor is running. It totally distorts my FF readings, have you ever run across that problem? I guess there should be some device I can buy that would solve the problem but I'm not sure what to look for, anyone had this problem? I also run two big batteries but the second one isn't hooked to the first one because it is located at the front end of my boat. It would be nice to charge the second battery when running the main motor but I wonder what gauge the wire would need to be and would I need to run two wires? Thanks for anyone that can help in this matter.
[signature]
I havn't had any problems with interference. I can hook mine up to the battery that starts the big motor or the other battery that is for inhouse.

Today when I was fishing at Willard a family started waving at me when I went past them. I turned around to see what they wanted. Their battery was dead and the waves where just about to push them into the dike. I towed them out to deeper water then I had them try and start their boat with my extra battery. They where relieved when their boat started, probably saved their $40,000 dollar boat from being slamed into the rocks when every wave hit them. He was grateful I was able to get him going again and told me he was going to keep two batteries in his boat for now on. That wasn't the first time I have helped someone and they also said they where going to carry two batteries in their boat.
[signature]
Sounds like you did your good deed for the day, way to go Mike. Is your spare battery set up like Joy Ride's, where it is being charged when you are running your main motor?
[signature]
The second battery does not get charged while running the big motor,the only way it gets charged is by my battery charger. I charge it about once a month and it still has a lot of charge left in it and thats fishing 3 days a week. If I use my electric motor I charge it after every use.
[signature]
I have two batteries, plus two batteries for my electric trolling motor (it is a 24 volt). I have a Perko Switch that allows me to switch all batteries off (gives great peace of mind when I am storing the boat), use battery one, use batter two, or use both batteries simultaneously. I always just use one battery at a time. With my setup, the outboard will only charge the battery that the switch is directed to. I have two plugs running out the back of the boat that I attach my battery charger to periodically when I am home. It has been my experience that most outboards do not put out enough power to charge two batteries simultaneously, and one is probably talking some serious dollars to have a switch that will automatically switch the charging from battery to battery.
[signature]
I looked up Rocky Mountain ATV in the yellow pages but could not find it, does it go by another name? When you said they sold ATV batteries for 10.00 that caught my attention, since I need one for my ATV. WH2
[signature]
try [url "http://www.rockymountainatv.com"]www.rockymountainatv.com[/url] or 1-800-336-5437
[signature]